JM Multi Trunk Progression

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@MACH5 When would you fully defoliate a heathy and vigorous Japanese Maple?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5 When would you fully defoliate a heathy and vigorous Japanese Maple?

This is well after leaves have hardened off. This of cousre will depend on your location. Here in the Northeast US, I usually defoliate around mid June. You also want to ensure the tree has enough time to put out a new crop of leaves well before fall sets in so careful in not doing it too late in the season.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update 10th November 2018:

12th Jan 2019 - cut back and wired some branches:

Defoliation, cutback and re-wire 17th June 2019. I think the first main branch on the right is almost ready to be cut back:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
wow, you turned the three trunker into 5 trunks! thats some pretty hefty growth there buddy

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
wow, you turned the three trunker into 5 trunks!

I hadn't thought about that. I was just growing it out to thicken what was going to be the first main right branch like what was there originally.

Also the dead straight sacrafice branch growing out the back comes out quite high up on the right branch.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I hadn't thought about that. I was just growing it out to thicken what was going to be the first main right branch like what was there originally.

Also the dead straight sacrafice branch growing out the back comes out quite high up on the right branch.

yeh when i looked again i figured it was some sort of graft. 5 trunks looks doable now, kind of takes your eye away from some of the flaws in the three trunks that were spoken about previously.

i can see where the sacrifice on the right is a little high though

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I might try incorporating it into some sort of two layer branch.... could look interesting.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Damn that’s a healthy tree. Shows what leaving it alone for several years does for a tree. (I’m referring to before before you acquired the tree)
I think it helped that you only did the severe root prune on half the tree first. I think it would not have recovered as fast if you had done the whole tree.
Patience is a virtue.

Top Bottom