JM Orange Dream styling question

Thatguy85

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I have this JM Orange Dream that I purchased years ago, and did some experimenting on. I was (and still am) new to bonsai and made some bold decisions, for example making a big cut that left a big scar as you can see on the picture. Can't change that now although I hope that it will become less unsightly over time. But my question is: what should I do at this stage, shall I cut off the right branch in order to prevent inverse taper, or should I let it grow out? Letting it grow out will probably create an inverse taper, even though the branches aren't exactly parallel to each other, right? 20211127_120034.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Making the big cut may or may not have been the right decision at the time but as soon as the decision is made it becomes right. Now it is just a matter of time (and some care) until the scar heals over.

I'm more concerned about the stub you've left above the fork????? Please cut that flush as soon as possible so it can start to heal.

As far as the other 2 large branches there is little risk of reverse taper because there is only 2. Reverse taper is worse when there is 3 - main trunk and 2 branches opposite. Your real problem is aesthetic. 2 competing trunks. The tree is far from bonsai so no immediate problem. In fact the 2 are probably helping to thicken an otherwise skinny trunk and also helping to heal the lower scar. I'd certainly be happy to have that configuration on my benches and would let that grow as is until the lower cut has healed over then chop as required then.
My guess is the tree is still pretty young and you are relatively new to bonsai. Quality bonsai takes more than a couple of years. If you need to speed up the process you should start with more advanced stock.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you just need to let it grow awhile but your picture shows very little except a big ugly scar or graft, can't tell which. Experiment on something else and just let it go for a couple years.

Thatguy85

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Yeah it's a young tree and I know it has a long way to go. My main concern for letting it grow out was a possible inverse taper, but I'll cut the topside flush and let it grow out as is. I've got plenty of better material to work on in the meanwhile.

Thatguy85

Sapling
Reaction score
Oh and btw, its not grafted, which is uncommon for an Orange Dream I believe, its one of the reasons I cherish the tree.

Top Bottom