JM styling advice

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi all.

This is a JM I acquired in Spring 2019 - and maintained in nursery pot / soil, until repot in early Spring 2020 (aka, pum, lava).

Two photos attached from August 2019, the "front" is with the smaller trunk on the right hand side.

Also attached, some current pictures (Jun 20) - lighting isn't fantastic, but a work in progress. There's also a top view of the junction in question.

Most of this JM's growth is being directed up and to the right; my interest in the tree is the nice twin trunk. So I do believe a cut in is order - tho I wonder on timing (see below).

I've marked up several of the pics... blue part I'm not sure is worth keeping around because of the long straight extension that's required to keep it.

Here's some additional color, if helpful:
  • the space these trees live on currently is quite windy, removing the top would cut down on wind profile.
  • Due to heavy winds, I had to reinforce tie down wiring about 3 weeks ago. It's now firmly in place, but had a little wiggle introduced.
  • This JM in particular would prefer some shade. Some of the top leaves have slight browning, but new growth is replacing.
  • this was one of my first trees, I like to work with old and flawed material - mainly because I'm still very early in learning curve.
  • The top of the tree isn't interesting at all.. I wanted to minimize big cuts on the tree into it's first repot.
Main questions:
  • thoughts on styling markup?
  • thoughts on cut timing ... frankly all of my JMs look better than this one right now, which makes me think this is more of a 2021 event.
Thank you!

Attachments

• InkedJM front Jun20_LI.jpg
    InkedJM front Jun20_LI.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 45
  • InkedJM top Jun 20_LI.jpg
    InkedJM top Jun 20_LI.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 42
  • JM 2019.jpg
    JM 2019.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 37
  • JM front Jun20.jpg
    JM front Jun20.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 36
  • JM top Jun 20.jpg
    JM top Jun 20.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 38
  • JM front Aug 29.jpg
    JM front Aug 29.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 43

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
My choice would be the lower chop. That would leave a nice curve through the main trunk as well as reducing height. I can't really see a great future with the sudden bend to the left I the middle of an otherwise smooth trunk.
Tilt the tree a little to the left to balance after removing the top.

You do no need back buds with that trunk chop so could be done anytime. Summer is a good time to chop JM. Chop now would allow the tee to concentrate on the bits that are left so growth after may be better.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

It sounds like, with the tiedown problem and all, 2021 isn't a bad idea.

IMO... if you don't get buds where you need them this chop, it could be 6 years till it's healthy enough to make those buds again.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks to both for the thoughts and advice.

Shibui - agree on low chop... anything higher doesn't fit with the direction this tree is heading.

Sorce - your concerns on budding are well founded - esp. taking into account the tie down issue. Fingers crossed for good buds.

Going to go ahead and make the chop. Will help cut down on wind profile immensely, and will also allow me to provide some sun-shade for this tree in its current location.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Couple update shots after making the top cut on this JM on Sunday.

Used a small handsaw given the space was tight, and cleaned up the center of the cut with light dremel sanding.

Also raised the soil line slightly and tightened up the tie-down with a small furniture pad.

Several fits of high winds this week - tree is much better prepared now.

Attachments

• JM Cut 2020.jpg
    JM Cut 2020.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 26
  • JM Cut Front 2020.jpg
    JM Cut Front 2020.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Above maple, plus it's roommate.

Have these in the most shaded part of my garden.

Top one was repotted this year, in a slightly deeper container.

IMG_2165.JPG

IMG_2171.JPG

Top Bottom