JM "Ugly Graft" contest

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I was at a big box store last night for some pond baskets and saw the most pathetic group of Japanese maples in the sale section. (Pre-printed!!) tag said - "Special Price - $14.98" for these 5' tall super ugly little whips. I'm new so I didn't think to check for grafts ALL the way up the "trunk". I use the term trunk lightly because it's more like a super long stem - has to be lashed to a tall bamboo stick. There wasn't a scar down low so I didn't think anything of it. The sign in front said simply "$3". I couldn't resist, and picked one up, if only to have a JM on my deck. I harbor no illusions of this becoming a bonsai in my lifetime but for three bucks how could I say no?

I got it home and looked closer - the darned graft is easily halfway up the tree - way too high to expect to be able to chop below it, so the fate is sealed. A poor photo is attached - I can't imagine a worse graft. It is spectacularly bad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 88

Telperion

Seedling
Reaction score
Just style yourself a tree above the graft, and when you are ready, air layer it off.
This is a great technique for otherwise useless material.
I once went to a nursery (which will remain unnamed) to pick up an order. They had arakawa Japanese maples grafted to JM root stock. Grown about 4 feet high. Then, they grafted another variety on top of the arakawa.
Why? I found myself unable to ask in a civil tone. Still don't know.
Anyway, the top grafts failed, and they were going to throw the trees on the burn pile.
So, I made them the gracious offer of a buck a piece and they were thrilled to let me take them home.
Now, we have a few seasons of air layering some great material.
Great fun!!

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hmmm

Just style yourself a tree above the graft, and when you are ready, air layer it off.
This is a great technique for otherwise useless material.
I once went to a nursery (which will remain unnamed) to pick up an order. They had arakawa Japanese maples grafted to JM root stock. Grown about 4 feet high. Then, they grafted another variety on top of the arakawa.
Why? I found myself unable to ask in a civil tone. Still don't know.
Anyway, the top grafts failed, and they were going to throw the trees on the burn pile.
So, I made them the gracious offer of a buck a piece and they were thrilled to let me take them home.
Now, we have a few seasons of air layering some great material.
Great fun!!

Good idea, thanks

Top Bottom