John Naka's Bonsai Techniques

Ashkanoveisi

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi

Can someone upload John Naka's Bonsai Techniques book for me please ?

I cant buy from Amazon or other websites becuase of my country ( IRAN ).

Here's my Email Address : tiesto30@gmail.com

I will be grateful if you someone upload them for me for me.
Thanks,
Ashkan

Music4cash

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone know where to get an electronic copy There is nothing left but very overpriced copies available. I tried to contact the publisher but they are out of business... so there is no one left to complain about copyright.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
so there is no one left to complain about copyright.
I believe the author owned the copyright, did not only belong to a publisher. Actually it expressly states that in every copy. Perhaps his heirs may not feel the same way as expressed above. In Canada the copyright law extends the copyright for 50 years after the death of the author, in the United States intellectual copyright is extended for 70 years i believe.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Also, much of what you will read in those books is basically outdated information that is no longer used.
I've been told you're better off using the search function here on Bnut.

Reaction score
41RFDJ9SZTL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Might be easier to find, not as many sketches as the original bible but good info in there. Depends on what specific info you are looking for.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Also, much of what you will read in those books is basically outdated information that is no longer used.
It is true that some information is outdated, but most of the information and particularily the illustrations are very worthwhile having for reference. As far as that goes very little written material does not contain some outdated information! It is surprising how insightful some older texts can be and how much more we can learn from them when we revisit their pages years later. Simply reinforcing principles that are foundations of what we do day by day. You would be surprised how often it is referenced by experienced Bonsai practitioners in both general discussion and formal teaching situations. I think the continuing demand and price reflects the interest.

Music4cash

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The book was written before 1978...1978 was the publication date so the copyright on it is good for 42 years from the date the writing was finished. As someone who gets a royalties check every month copyrights are important to me. If Naka's family wants to profit from the book they should license it for reprinting. Which would nowadays make it available as an ebook. I'd happily pay $20 or $30 for it but I'm not willing to put up the $80 which was the cheapest one I've seen.
I'm aware that a lot of it is outdated, but my research indicates that it's still the most comprehensive nuts and bolts guide out there. In learning any new skill starting from outdated information is often more accessible than starting with modern versions. The algebra you learn in high school is not modern algebra, but it's enough for most people to solve most of what they'll encounter, and a high school student would likely be lost with real algebra which is really a graduate level topic...
Still though the question remains... does anyone know where I can find a pdf?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd happily pay $20 or $30 for it
Yes, that would be a deal. Techniques 1 sold for $30 back in 2008 when it was still in print.

does anyone know where I can find a pdf?
Yes I do.

Google is your friend. Query "bonsai techniques 1 pdf" and voila!
It is up to you to decide if exposing yourself to scribd or reddit sources is 'free'.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Bullsh*t! I have techniques II, I can’t speak for the first book, but in no way is techniques II outdated. Horticulture has changed but design concepts still ring true, and techniques II is a book on DESIGN concepts. Every single time I open that book it gives me new ideas on how to approach the design of my own trees and I close the book feeling inspired. You may as well say that GOSHIN is lame because it’s old trees that are outdated. Hilarious. B-nut offers endless soil debates and much more, but no single member here can offer the breadth of bonsai design inspiration that John Naka still offers posthumously in that book. Hands down one of the most re-read books on my bonsai book shelf.

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Bullsh*t! I have techniques II, I can’t speak for the first book, but in no way is techniques II outdated. Horticulture has changed but design concepts still ring true, and techniques II is a book on DESIGN concepts. Every single time I open that book it gives me new ideas on how to approach the design of my own trees and I close the book feeling inspired. You may as well say that GOSHIN is lame because it’s old trees that are outdated. Hilarious. B-nut offers endless soil debates and much more, but no single member here can offer the breadth of bonsai design inspiration that John Naka still offers posthumously in that book. Hands down one of the most re-read books on my bonsai book shelf.
Its just what I've been told.
After already owning, and reading several times, 8-10 bonsai books, including the one shown above....and after seeing the bronze bust of Mr Naka at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum and admiring Goshin in person many times, along with many more of his trees....I began asking about Naka's books here on Bnut...and that's what I was told...I think many agreed.

I'm sorry that I offended your sensibilities, in fact I really like his work and go to the arboretum to admire it often.
To insinuate that his trees would be outdated is stupid...
To me, personally, in reference to the books, the prices are too high...though it would be nice to read them and own.

Most of what people say is out dated is the horticultural stuff....though I would say that many people do strive to style their trees much differently now, compared to what you see in the old books...whether you like that or not is a matter of opinion and taste, I suppose.
I would also say that I see world class tree posted here all the time by many great members.
Just because Naka was a great pioneer doesn't make him the be all end all...and to say that no one on Bnut can offer the breadth of design inspiration is ignorant.
Just one man's opinion.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just because Naka was a great pioneer doesn't make him the be all end all...and to say that no one on Bnut can offer the breadth of design inspiration as he, is ignorant.
Just one man's opinion.

There is immense talent on this forum, don’t get me wrong. I wasn’t disrespecting the forum, I was only upholding Naka’s contribution to bonsai realativly speaking. Believe me, he is not the be all end all, whatsoever. But until a bnut member publishes a book or blog or whatever anywhere near what Naka put out there, I will most definitely say that yes he wanted to show the world at large how inspiring bonsai can be and illumited bonsai design concepts for the masses to understand in a way that no other bonsai artist had done before. I think most of the giants of bonsai that frequent this forum could t argue with that. And I bet they all have these books on their shelves.

At the end of the day your opinion would matter if you had looked through his books, but you haven’t. So it means very little. I believe the great banana man once said, are you a parrot?

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just because Naka was a great pioneer doesn't make him the be all end all...and to say that no one on Bnut can offer the breadth of design inspiration as he, is ignorant.
Just one man's opinion.

There is immense talent on this forum, don’t get me wrong. I wasn’t disrespecting the forum, I was only upholding Naka’s contribution to bonsai realativly speaking. Believe me, he is not the be all end all, whatsoever. But until a bnut member publishes a book or blog or whatever anywhere near what Naka put out there, I will most definitely say that yes he wanted to show the world at large how inspiring bonsai can be and illumited bonsai design concepts for the masses to understand in a way that no other bonsai artist had done before. I think most of the giants of bonsai that frequent this forum could t argue with that. And I bet they all have these books on their shelves.

At the end of the day your opinion would matter if you had looked through his books, but you haven’t. So it means very little. I believe the great bananaman once said, are you a parrot?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just buy the D@mn books. They sell on eBay from time to time. Read ‘em all you want, learn what you want to learn, then sell them on eBay. Or Facebook auctions. Make your money back or maybe even make a profit.
Economics 101, are you sure its wise to post this, what if other catch on, and they begin to understand?

Music4cash

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So the link on reddit is no good, my anti virus doesn't like scribd... it's amazing how hard this thing is to find. My university library and my county library don't have it...I might buy it on amazon scan it and return it...

Top Bottom