John Naka's Bonsai Techniques

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, that would be a deal. Techniques 1 sold for $30 back in 2008 when it was still in print.

Yes I do.

Google is your friend. Query "bonsai techniques 1 pdf" and voila!
It is up to you to decide if exposing yourself to scribd or reddit sources is 'free'.

This is how I first read the book, on www.scribd.com. I've sense bought a copy of the book, which is well worth it in my opinion. There is a second, more expensive book by John Naka called "Bonsai Techniques II" and it's around $150...

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried looking for bonsai techniques 2 today- 600+ used- up to $2.5k new.

Had a friend who inherited a signed naka book and it was tagged at $30 back in 1986

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't get it, people spending 4 digit sums for a pot or tree or some tools and not willing to buy a book for 80?

Come on, what happens if you without computer/phone - hey you can still have a book.
I personally like to get real copies, books, vinyl records etc,
Digital world is not a future.......

The books are more like art itself, older getting higher value....

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Personally not willing to pay that sort of money for trees pots etc either. (In fact, told my wife: The first time I want to come home with a 1000E tree, stop me)
Of course, im on the same page and still think 80 $ for old book is not a bad price, you would spend more on a single the night out.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
doubt i'd spend that much on a book i would probably only read once for information that i could possibly find online.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So... you finally found one :cool:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I own both, I like the books, though I rarely refer to them. Much if not all the horticulture is out of date. The botanical names of some trees are out of date. The horticulture is geared more or less to California.

The high value part is the discussion of bonsai design. This is the only reason to buy the books. Certainly worth the $50 or even $100, but not everyone has that large a "book budget".

Top Bottom