John P.’s SoCal Oak Thread

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’ve been picking up some deciduous and evergreen (“live”) oak material over the past few years, and decided maybe one thread for all would be better than several separate threads. All of them are California natives except for the cork oaks, Quercus suber, which are a Mediterranean oak.

Having some experience now under my belt, I can say there are some myths online about their care that I’ll address along the way.

These were the first ones I bought in July 2018 from an eBay seller—three coast live oaks, Quercus agrifolia, in the pond basket on the left, and one cork oak on the right:

6602AF5A-9367-4CDC-A8B5-01399091F2B2.jpeg
(Pictured late September 2018)

Myth 1 — Wire Marks Take Forever to Disappear (if at all) on Smooth(er)-barked Oaks

I wired them for movement soon after the above picture was taken. As it happens I left the wires on too long, and there was some nasty wire bite on all three coast oaks. The cork oak ... that’s another story for later.

The good news is only a year and a half later the wire marks are almost entirely gone. So even on smoother barked oaks like coast live oaks ... time heals. It helps that they’re putting on some caliper; this one is now in a raised garden bed with 100% orchid seedling bark as a substrate.

C2ED341A-B94A-4500-BAA4-4B4592B1193E.jpeg

Okay, so that cork oak? That’s it in background in the picture above. Little $hiT grows a couple leaves each year but never really grows. Not dying but not really living, either.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’ve been picking up some deciduous and evergreen (“live”) oak material over the past few years, and decided maybe one thread for all would be better than several separate threads. All of them are California natives except for the cork oaks, Quercus suber, which are a Mediterranean oak.

Having some experience now under my belt, I can say there are some myths online about their care that I’ll address along the way.

These were the first ones I bought in July 2018 from an eBay seller—three coast live oaks, Quercus agrifolia, in the pond basket on the left, and one cork oak on the right:

View attachment 306410
(Pictured late September 2018)

Myth 1 — Wire Marks Take Forever to Disappear (if at all) on Smooth(er)-barked Oaks

I wired them for movement soon after the above picture was taken. As it happens I left the wires on too long, and there was some nasty wire bite on all three coast oaks. The cork oak ... that’s another story for later.

The good news is only a year and a half later the wire marks are almost entirely gone. So even on smoother barked oaks like coast live oaks ... time heals. It helps that they’re putting on some caliper; this one is now in a raised garden bed with 100% orchid seedling bark as a substrate.

View attachment 306475

Okay, so that cork oak? That’s it in background in the picture above. Little $hiT grows a couple leaves each year but never really grows. Not dying but not really living, either.
Huh that's weird re the cork oak. They have a reputation for fast growth. Mine has grown probably 4 inches already this year. It was the same size as yours.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks, Mike. I have no idea what’s wrong with it, but I picked up a new cork oak over the weekend that I have really big plans for.

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
[QUOTE="John P., post: 750173, member: 1
Myth 2 — Oaks Don’t Layer
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing the info. I was planning to ground later a coast live oak from seed that decided to make weird burls and has been constantly been putting out more shoots from them. I’ve never seen an oak do that in the wild.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
More Dispelling of Myth 2 ...

Here is one of the three coast oaks in February 23, 2020 when I finally took them out of the pond basket. You can see the tourniquet is still there:
0708DF11-0814-4904-B324-B09AC650966E.jpeg

Here’s a more recent example of ground layering on coast oaks. This was one of the original three above. It had galls on the trunk above the roots, and needed to have something done to make it presentable.

Here’s the tree after repotting from that pond basket in February 2020:
C676441E-5BF4-42B0-9AA9-6F70A9C97B38.jpeg
Going to work on April 18, 2020:
D75AE06E-DD81-4852-A056-9C9C997E22A5.jpeg
Galls:
E21A51E8-1400-40F3-9AD0-87E9B590B8D8.jpeg
Finding a suitable angle to give movement to the trunk:
802FC5F6-283B-4E3E-8012-20F866D40ADD.jpeg
Placing a plastic lid with a trunk cutout above the galls to keep the roots growing horizontally. Soil placed underneath to keep the lid level:
33707A0F-3303-427E-A168-FA5D4B51BC2F.jpeg
Added a wire tourniquet and also ring-barked above it:
61D64729-B3CF-4665-9E91-466A50456724.jpeg
Put Clonex on there, too:
E3E4963A-25DC-4060-8FFC-190BE6E587C5.jpeg

Covered with a couple inches of orchid seedling bark, placed in the sun and watered daily ...

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm not familiar with this technique. Why does the tourniquet go below the cut and not above?

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm not familiar with this technique. Why does the tourniquet go below the cut and not above?

If you were to place only a tourniquet, roots typically shoot above the tourniquet. You also get some nice swelling above the tourniquet.

If you were to ring bark only, roots typically shoot around the top cut.

Both aren’t really needed—kind of like wearing a belt and suspenders. The tourniquet helps to keep the bark from callousing over the ring and making the layer fail.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Myth 3 — Cork Oaks Don’t Backbud Because the Cork Prevents It

I’ve seen this posted before ... not sure if here or elsewhere. In any event ... HOGWASH (or BOLLOCKS?)!

6A63923E-51F8-440A-901C-6C2EFE73746B.jpeg
525BBC89-B60C-4C85-8613-DC722EF11524.jpeg

Definitely safe to say that the backbudding happens in the bark fissures (maybe only), but it definitely happens. Right @Housguy ?

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Myth 3 — Cork Oaks Don’t Backbud Because the Cork Prevents It

I’ve seen this posted before ... not sure if here or elsewhere. In any event ... HOGWASH (or BOLLOCKS?)!

View attachment 307231
View attachment 307232

Definitely safe to say that the backbudding happens in the bark fissures (maybe only), but it definitely happens. Right @Housguy ?
A veritable backbudding fiesta.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the way Q suber corks up nicely while still a small tree!

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I love the way Q suber corks up nicely while still a small tree!

Me, too. I’m really excited to work on this tree. I’m surprised they’re not more common around here. For those of us in warmer climates they have such great bonsai characteristics.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Me, too. I’m really excited to work on this tree. I’m surprised they’re not more common around here. For those of us in warmer climates they have such great bonsai characteristics.
I have one that I imported from Portugal a couple years back. It’s still just a little guy but I’m excited for what’s to come with it. Loving this thread, keep updating. I have several oak varieties. I know that a lot of people are turned off by them, but oak trees are probably 90% of where my love of trees comes from since childhood. I’ll post some pics when I get home. Been in Tahoe all weekend 😎🤟🏼

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
oak trees are probably 90% of where my love of trees comes from since childhood. I’ll post some pics when I get home.
Awesome, looking forward to those pics. I love oaks as well, one of my favorites!

Top Bottom