Joker

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Haven’t seen it but Joaquin hasn’t made a bad movie yet in my opinion.

SquatJar

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have to agree with you Mike. It was brilliant and I was not expecting it to be

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I’m going on Sunday. I think it has surprised a lot of people.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't watched a "Batman" movie since Michael Keaton, and don't understand the necessity behind a hundred movies about the same dude....

This....this I want to see.

I heard he dropped 50lbs to get the roll, but I might be....
Walking the Line.

Sorce

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
It really does make me sad that Heath Ledger has passed ☹
True that. I was worried that Joaquin Phoenix would be trying to emulate him. How wrong I was. Ledger’s Joker was phenomenal but Phoenix’s is a whole different iteration. Such a great film and what a performance. I’m not sure they give out oscars for film’s like this, but his performance was just perfect. Best film i’ve seen in a long, long time.

bonsai45

Sapling
Reaction score
I’m not sure they give out oscars for film’s like this, but his performance was just perfect

they do, but if he (or the movie) gets an award it will because it is in the interest of the oscar organization. those awards are always to the mutual benefit of both parties, and are not consistently a testament to the quality or value of a film

i personally share the view of the guardian, the new yorker, and the new york times the film is shallow, lacks nuance, and was designed to be 'dark' in the eyes of a mass audience (consistent with its unfortunate evoking of current cultural 'trends' and 'movements'in the USA). compare the subtle and nuanced 'darkness' of Kaufman's Synechdoche New York (2008), Sorrentino's The Great Beauty (2013), or Gilroy's Nightcrawler (2014)

the concept was too complex for the director, who did not make full use of the actor's potential. this was the same issue with Her (2013); a film with incredible potential, put a dull outcome

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've given upon movies.....or cinema....or film....or whatever, years ago.

I've heard many people including local broadcasters, who are self-described cinaphiles, and regular Joe's saying that they were disappointed with the movie for various reasons.

As someone who doesn't care to see it, and won't see it....just on the outside looking in, its strange how different people's perspectives are and how different their opinions can be in regards to a movie.

Like all art I suppose.....always gonna be someone who likes it.....and probably as many or more who dislike it.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I heard this movie is extremely violent....

Anyone sick of gratuitous violence in TV and Movies?

That's one of the kind of things that has pushed me away from TV and movies.....I'm just done with it.

I just got tired of being disappointed with movie after movie, and I haven't seen anything worth wasting time with on TV in a decade....so I just quit.

Nothing new under the Sun....no original ideas or thought diversity.....only sex and violence.
When you consider the current pop-culture however, it starts to make sense I guess....sex and violence is all they know.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Someone should make a Bonsai movie.
You could keep on making all sorts of awful and horrible things happen to the bonsai artist, and make it as if the artist should be going insane from his/her situations....but the trees keep the sanity.

Maybe I will write it myself.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
they do, but if he (or the movie) gets an award it will because it is in the interest of the oscar organization. those awards are always to the mutual benefit of both parties, and are not consistently a testament to the quality or value of a film

i personally share the view of the guardian, the new yorker, and the new york times the film is shallow, lacks nuance, and was designed to be 'dark' in the eyes of a mass audience (consistent with its unfortunate evoking of current cultural 'trends' and 'movements'in the USA). compare the subtle and nuanced 'darkness' of Kaufman's Synechdoche New York (2008), Sorrentino's The Great Beauty (2013), or Gilroy's Nightcrawler (2014)

the concept was too complex for the director, who did not make full use of the actor's potential. this was the same issue with Her (2013); a film with incredible potential, put a dull outcome

I never pay attention to professional critics, be it films, music, food, whatever. Their ego tends to get in the way of subjectivity, IMO. I just can’t see how it can be portrayed as being shallow. It’s the first time that I’ve seen mental health issues characterised in detail within a comic book universe (I stress, that I have seen) and Joaquin Phoenix played it wonderfully. Looking at the way it unfolded, it gave a perfect backdrop for the Joker that we all know. It had to be dark. How else does an unhinged anarchic comic super villain become just that without being twee or lacking substance? Just my view anyway.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I heard this movie is extremely violent....

Anyone sick of gratuitous violence in TV and Movies?

That's one of the kind of things that has pushed me away from TV and movies.....I'm just done with it.

I just got tired of being disappointed with movie after movie, and I haven't seen anything worth wasting time with on TV in a decade....so I just quit.

Nothing new under the Sun....no original ideas or thought diversity.....only sex and violence.
When you consider the current pop-culture however, it starts to make sense I guess....sex and violence is all they know.
No more violent than (take your pick) any war film, zombie film, gangster film etc etc. I think it’s in our nature to almost seek out violence. We’re a violent species, evolutionary speaking. We have had to fight for our existence since the year dot, so in fact, this is probably the most sheltered time in human history for the general population.

bonsai45

Sapling
Reaction score
Looking at the way it unfolded, it gave a perfect backdrop for the Joker that we all know

that's at least what it claims to do, but did it really nail it?

the 'joker we all know' is chaotic and unpredictable, in his words, actions, and especially mannerism (think jack nicholson breaking into the officer and flinging his gun around around his back and over his head to shoot). joaquin is introverted, his mannerism are restricted, he lacks the whimsical and somber flamboyance in his gestures

the joker 'we all know' is a person who knows truth, brings clarity, and views himself as a protagonist (think of ledger's meeting with mob bosses). this seems to clash wit joaquin's self-pity, and disparity for society as opposed to being a voice for it. sure, todd phillips tries to show that transition but it is abrupt, lacks finesse and that's evidence enough that he should stick to directing one-dimensional characters like the kind in his previous movies (old school, hangover, starchy and hutch...)

the joker 'we all know' engages in theft, but not because of a desire for money but out of a clear disregard and disrespect for it. money is just another tool that he employs. (think of ledger burning the pile of cash). the portrayal of joaquin's poverty would be fine if it wasn't so present in the film, but because of its overhwhelming presence it comes across as a preoccupation or weight that the joker 'we call know' does not feel

perhaps the strongest point against the film is that it is a film that could not be made in principle. the joker 'well all know' at once has every origin story and no origin story. pay attention to nolan's joker. there are many times where he explains his origins or "wanna know how i got my scars". his story is different every time he tells it. by giving the joker an 'origin' you set in stone the genesis of a character defined by chaos and unpredictability. all of a sudden he's a poor guy with a mental health issue that turns into a psychopath. that belongs in Mind Hunter or other serial-killer pictures, but that's not Joker.

it speaks volumes that this film was in scorsese's hands and that he chose to abandon it after investing a considerable amount of time into it (it still looks, in many ways, like a scorsese film)

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Well I saw it last night. It gives my great hope for the future of American cinema. A flawless masterpiece. The best movie I have seen for many years.
I agree. I went grudgingly because the last movie I saw in the theatre was Aquaman and it was so bad I never returned to the movies since because I was done with movies that insulted my intelligence. I don't really care about the critics and what they say because it means nothing. They said Bohemian Rhapsody was so bad initially that I almost decided not to see it but then said what the heck and was pleasantly surprised. Saw it three times. Was it perfect? No. Did I get entertained. Absolutely! The critics are morons.
Joker was a good movie and I enjoyed it and the way the subject was treated. Could there be improvements? Sure. But let's at least give it the credit it deserves!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
No more violent than (take your pick) any war film, zombie film, gangster film etc etc. I think it’s in our nature to almost seek out violence. We’re a violent species, evolutionary speaking. We have had to fight for our existence since the year dot, so in fact, this is probably the most sheltered time in human history for the general population.
True.
Though war movies depict reality.
Joker is fiction.
Just another bloody violent movie made up out of someone's mind for the sake of blood and violence.
Other than that distinction, I agree with what you say.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
that's at least what it claims to do, but did it really nail it?

the 'joker we all know' is chaotic and unpredictable, in his words, actions, and especially mannerism (think jack nicholson breaking into the officer and flinging his gun around around his back and over his head to shoot). joaquin is introverted, his mannerism are restricted, he lacks the whimsical and somber flamboyance in his gestures

the joker 'we all know' is a person who knows truth, brings clarity, and views himself as a protagonist (think of ledger's meeting with mob bosses). this seems to clash wit joaquin's self-pity, and disparity for society as opposed to being a voice for it. sure, todd phillips tries to show that transition but it is abrupt, lacks finesse and that's evidence enough that he should stick to directing one-dimensional characters like the kind in his previous movies (old school, hangover, starchy and hutch...)

the joker 'we all know' engages in theft, but not because of a desire for money but out of a clear disregard and disrespect for it. money is just another tool that he employs. (think of ledger burning the pile of cash). the portrayal of joaquin's poverty would be fine if it wasn't so present in the film, but because of its overhwhelming presence it comes across as a preoccupation or weight that the joker 'we call know' does not feel

perhaps the strongest point against the film is that it is a film that could not be made in principle. the joker 'well all know' at once has every origin story and no origin story. pay attention to nolan's joker. there are many times where he explains his origins or "wanna know how i got my scars". his story is different every time he tells it. by giving the joker an 'origin' you set in stone the genesis of a character defined by chaos and unpredictability. all of a sudden he's a poor guy with a mental health issue that turns into a psychopath. that belongs in Mind Hunter or other serial-killer pictures, but that's not Joker.

it speaks volumes that this film was in scorsese's hands and that he chose to abandon it after investing a considerable amount of time into it (it still looks, in many ways, like a scorsese film)
Those are versions where he has been “The Joker” for some time. I’m trying not to give spoilers away, but we saw glimpses of his jokey nature, especially as the film reached it’s climax, though he retained a sense of humour throughout. If there were to be a sequel, the Phoenix Joker we saw would become what you have described. This film is about the evolution, not merely just being born then bam! - The Joker appears. That’s the point, I think. Jack Nicholson’s and Heath Ledger’s were great versions, but can you not think that this could be where they came from?

It takes a lot of loathing, mental instability, being down trodden and misunderstood to get to that moment. The happy-go-lucky Joker isn’t happy, he just revels in chaos. And yes, he is a psychopathic serial killer.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
True.
Though war movies depict reality.
Joker is fiction.
Just another bloody violent movie made up out of someone's mind for the sake of blood and violence.
Other than that distinction, I agree with what you say.
I think we just have a morbid fascination for doom and gloom. Even the news is filled with all the bad stories. there’s so much good in the world, but it rarely gets reported. People want war, terror, hostility and death as part of the daily dose of humanity at 6. Why would tv and film be any different?

Maybe I’ve just become conditioned to it, but I didn't really think this film was all that violent anyway, for the most part. I think it’s a character story, not a gore fest.

Top Bottom