Jpb 20 year progression (with errors inside)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a jpb grown from seed taken from my parent neighbor backyard, sown in spring 2001. It has been grown exclusively in a pot, never bigger than 20 liters.
2004 and already 2 errors :
  • first curve is softer than second's
  • no need to trim the apex and primary branches should have been cut shorter
    2004-1.jpg2004-2.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
2009: the effect of the first error is plainly visible : there is an conicity inversion. Quite put out, I stopped taking pictures of it and started waiting that the neagari's growth absorb the inverse conicity.
2009.jpg
2021: the conicity problem is mostly resolved. The needles are a little bit far from the trunk but it is not to bad. Part of the nebari is fused, i like it well. There is a big scar on the back where the sacrifice branche was.
The tray is a 12 L tray, so it is rather a fat tree.
2021-1.jpg2021-2.jpg2021-3.jpg
Thanks for watching.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good work Alain, it will be very satisfying for you to see this tree become a wonderful bonsai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
2009: the effect of the first error is plainly visible : there is an conicity inversion. Quite put out, I stopped taking pictures of it and started waiting that the neagari's growth absorb the inverse conicity.
View attachment 410076
2021: the conicity problem is mostly resolved. The needles are a little bit far from the trunk but it is not to bad. Part of the nebari is fused, i like it well. There is a big scar on the back where the sacrifice branche was.
The tray is a 12 L tray, so it is rather a fat tree.
View attachment 410073View attachment 410074View attachment 410075
Thanks for watching.
wow,twenty years shown in a short post ...

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Alain, thank you for this progression, very helpful to those of us closer to the beginning of (hopefully) 20 years. It teaches us how early decisions play out over the long term.

Can you say exactly what you think caused the inversion? Too much lateral growth low down? Low bend too tight? Or chopping the leader?

You have done well to recover something difficult, and you have a tree with some character.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
When a trunk fattens, inner surfaces fuse and thus, trunks fattens more in the inner part of a curve than on the outside. The stiffer the curve, the bigger the enlargement. So when you form a young tree with stiff curves, their stiffness should always decrease from bottom to top.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I misread the b for an a in the title and thought for a second this was a meme thread!🤣

Nice tree!

Stay Free!

Sorce

Top Bottom