JPB an ScottsPine

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Alright so I have two Scotts pine and one Jbp on the way . Any advice would be great. I've read about de candling and plucking the needles. But as far as that gose I'm not sure what to do an when. That being said they are just saplings I'm not really expecting to have to do much to them this growing season. I'm in zone 7a/7b. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Post pictures when they arrive, and you can get more specific suggestions based on how far along they are.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I got some young seedlings too- for scots pine
Here’s a good video- jbp will have different needs

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Where did you order the Scots pines from by chance?
Scots pines are mountain pines, they need cold winters for dormancy
Your winter may not be cold enough for long enough to give Scots a proper dormancy

Scotts pines are single flush pines and are not treated in the same way that we treat JBP which are two flush pines.
We do not cut candles on Scotts

Bjorn (video posted above) is a good person to learn from and the info is spot on.
Ryan Neil also has some good videos on pines and the differences between single flush (Scots, mugo, JWP) and 2 flush pines (JBP, JRP)

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
L
Your winter may not be cold enough for long enough to give Scots a proper dormancy

Scotts pines are single flush pines and are not treated in the same way that we treat JBP

Bjorn (video posted above) is a good person to learn from.
Ryan Neil also has some good videos on pines and the differences between single flush (Scots, mugo, JWP) and 2 flush pines (JBP, JRP)
I see that you say you don’t cut candles on scots pines. The video I linked shows Bjorn cutting them. I’m new to pines.

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Scotts pines are single flush pines and are not treated in the same way that we treat JBP

Bjorn (video posted above) is a good person to learn from.
Left coast bonsai web site . Also it gets in the teens here this winter we was in the 20s and teens alot I also don't have many wind breaks. An after looking up the zones it says scotts pine can live in the ground here. Granted these wont. When I say I don't have many wind breaks I mean I live in flat land farm area . These will live close to a un heated barn wall . I'm about to build some small walls to help with the wind so they don't get blown over easily.

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got some young seedlings too- for scots pine
Here’s a good video- jbp will have different needs
I actually watch alot of his videos and I'm subscribed to his channel but haven't had time to go threw his videos thanks for the link!

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I actually watch alot of his videos and I'm subscribed to his channel but haven't had time to go threw his videos thanks for the link!
I also got mine from John at left coast

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m going to bend them up and put them in the ground for a few years.View attachment 424879View attachment 424880
I've thought about putting one of the 2 of the scotts in the ground and letting nature run its course. But idk I've also got a blue star juniper I've thought about doing this with?
( I'll most likely do it).

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Just be aware that most vids, etc focus on the final stages of pine development when decandling and needle pulling is employed because that's the 'sexy' part of pine development.
Decandling and needle pulling young trees and seedlings will produce absolutely fantastic bonsai but will probably take 30-50 years to get decent trunks.

In the early stages of growth and trunk thickening we use quite different methods and techniques to get trunks thickening much quicker then move to refinement and final development when the trunks and primary branches look good.
At least with very young trees you have a couple of years to learn what's what before its too late.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just curious, are you going to put any constraints on the roots at all while in ground? Root bag or anything?
I may try a couple of ways since I have a dozen or so plants.

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just curious, are you going to put any constraints on the roots at all while in ground? Root bag or anything?
There going in containers . I may put a scotts pine in the ground after a year or so.

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just be aware that most vids, etc focus on the final stages of pine development when decandling and needle pulling is employed because that's the 'sexy' part of pine development.
Decandling and needle pulling young trees and seedlings will produce absolutely fantastic bonsai but will probably take 30-50 years to get decent trunks.

In the early stages of growth and trunk thickening we use quite different methods and techniques to get trunks thickening much quicker then move to refinement and final development when the trunks and primary branches look good.
At least with very young trees you have a couple of years to learn what's what before its too late.
I'm planning on watching a hole lot of videos. So I can see the different stages . I have 2 brazilian rain trees and I've watched pretty much every video on YouTube about them.

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm not sure the soil in my yard is real fertail. What I mean is any where that you did you will get a shovel full of black or almost black dirt an worms.

Top Bottom