parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this Japanese Black Pine at the 2016 Bonsai Society of Portland Fall Show. It went to the oral auction and I got it for $165. I'll be cataloging its development in this thread.

Here it is today with a 12 oz can for scale
IMG_0499.JPG

Close up of the exciting basal flare and lichen
IMG_0497.JPG

I need to repot the tree soon, as it is moderately root bound. My immediate focus is to get the tree healthy and vigorous, as the previous owner appears to have not put enough time into maintaining it. The tree will go into a larger and deeper rectangular pot with 100% pumice.

When I bought it the tree was covered in subpar wiring. There were many weak, duplicative, and leggy branches that I removed so the energy would focus on what was worth keeping.

Reaction score
Looking weak. You might find an old dry or wet core in the middle. Don't overwork it. Don't put it in a too big pot before it is strong. In a big pt a weak pine takes long to dry out. I like building up neglected trees. Risky in the beginning, but very rewarding.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pixlr app for android and just used auto fix to get this result now go get a new phone lol

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@defra but it's a perfectly good iPhone with a busted camera lens! :p

I might just get a decent point and shoot. Also, I suspect the color balance of my new workbench lighting is a bit subpar. They're a "warm" tone because I'm using them in the evenings, but "daylight" would have been more wise for photography purposes.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I repotted tonight into a pumice-heavy Boon's mix. It had been a while since the last repotting but the root ball is looking okay. I think I removed about 1/4 of the mass and I also made some small triangular cuts.

IMG_0573.JPG

I've spotted some new back buds, so I'm excited for what's in store this season. I'll be fertilizing heavily and applying fungicides to prevent recurrence of needle cast. I'm pretty sure it's infected because of the telltale rings around needles.

Back side
IMG_0577.JPG

90° CW
IMG_0578.JPG

90° CCW
IMG_0576.JPG

I used better lighting this time ;)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks like you potted it so that the tree leans towards the back. It would have been better to have it lean towards the front.

Positioning in the pot: you have it in the center, as seen from the front. It should be slightly off center. From the side, it appears to be potted slightly to the rear. It should be on the centerline when viewed from the side.

You stated that you cut wedges in the rootball. Don't do that. If the rootball has old soil that needs replacing, the Half Bare Root technique is far better.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Adair M I appreciate the feedback!

This pot is for growth purposes; the tree desperately needs to get stronger. I maintained the existing potting angle.

I did the wedge cut because I wasn't having success with bare rooting. The root mass was so dense that I was only ripping out the fine feeders.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M I appreciate the feedback!

This pot is for growth purposes; the tree desperately needs to get stronger. I maintained the existing potting angle.

I did the wedge cut because I wasn't having success with bare rooting. The root mass was so dense that I was only ripping out the fine feeders.
Did you try rinsing with water?

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Adair M no, I did not want to wash out mycorrhiza. I'm still a bit of a pine newb :)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, a half bare root repot means that one half of the rootball gets barerooted. Doesn't really matter which half, the front, or the back, or either side. Using a root hook and bent tip tweezers, loosen as much soil as you can from that half. Get all the way under the trunk. Then wash that side only with water. A gentle stream will do. Be careful to retain the other half of the rootball. The unbarerooted side will have mychorazzae.

That's why we "Half Bare Root".

Two years later, do the other side.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good news: its candles are elongating. They appear a bit weak but the tree is definitely alive. I’ll let them go this year and—depending on its vigor—start the candle pruning routines next year.

The current branch tips I might end up using for approach grafts.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good news: its candles are elongating. They appear a bit weak but the tree is definitely alive. I’ll let them go this year and—depending on its vigor—start the candle pruning routines next year.

The current branch tips I might end up using for approach grafts.

Good move. Let it be to recover and get stronger. Water and feed only. You can pluck some needles in the fall if the tree is strong.

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
Hi,
I don't know if the branch placement is right for this, but I am seeing an interesting tree in this angle with another twist forward...
Just a thought.

Attachments

• IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 60

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's been a month since you repotted. Now you can start adding fertilizer cakes or teabags. Start with two this week, then next week add two more, then the next week add two more...

Top Bottom