JPB seedling

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Is a JPB seedling cutting really worth $50. I kinda want one and don't mind paying that much if that's the going rate. Also is there different variety's of JPBs, and if so are they all good?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is a JPB seedling cutting really worth $50. I kinda want one and don't mind paying that much if that's the going rate. Also is there different variety's of JPBs, and if so are they all good?
You could buy 500 seeds for less than that, germinate them this spring, and have more cuttings than you know what to do with. Here's 100. And no, I wouldn't charge $5,000 for them :)

cuttings.jpg

Now, if said cutting is three years old, and has nice roots and thick, low budding, I might pay $50 for it.

Last edited:

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I forgot to say they were at least 12" tall. Not sure how old that would be tho.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I agree that 12" tall JBP will be around a year old. Many seedlings will have just as good roots as many cuttings so I'd want to see the roots before paying high price hoping for excellent nebari

There are a number of different JBP cultivars - Thunderhead, Yatsubusa, are just a couple - but those can't be propagated as seedlings though some cam be grown as cuttings from an authentic parent tree.
Some of the cultivars are OK for bonsai, others are more difficult than straight JBP.

Top Bottom