Spring 2005:
20092011-2302_jrp05.jpg
Winter 2006-2007, before putting it in the ground

jrp07.jpg

Lifted out of the ground in spring 2011:
jrp2011-3.jpg
jrp2011-2.jpg
jrp2011-1.jpg
Note the very strong difference of diameter between the trunk and the apex. It has determined how I have grown this tree for the following 8 years.

Summer 2011 : the tree is safe.
jrp2011-4.jpg

2018: During all this time, I just tried to fatten the apex of the tree while preventing the lower branches needles from being too far from the trunk.
densiflora2018.jpg

This morning. The refinement phase is closing.
densiflora2021.jpg

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow! That trunk looks way older than it is. Nice job!

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What the hell have you been feeding it?!! Great growth in a short time!
This is the benefit of ground growing. He would have never been able to bulk up the trunk like that in a pot. Not sure it was such a short time regardless. Almost 20 years between first picture and present.

Very nice work, Alain!

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is the benefit of ground growing.
Understood. But, I'm curious as to the feeding regiment even with ground growing.
I have been cultivating landscape trees for over 20 years and have a couple impressive specimens.
My bonsai experience is only a few years old and I'm trying to understand how to feed while in the ground.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Red pine as well, tres bon! Can you share anything of your methods? Was it simply in the ground, or pot as well, banked up soil? Sacrifice branches? Excellent tree, very good to see. Very interesting to see around 2011, had you removed a sacrifice apex? Bravo Alain.

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice tree and fast progression! Red Pine seem to develop faster in the ground than Black pine I think. I've one in the ground since 2013, 8 years now. Little pruning resulted instantly in much budding on trunk and older branches. Also already some bark developing.
I remember a post from you on another forum, about a great ground grown P. Sylvestris. How is that tree doiing?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for you replies.
I didn't fertilize the tree in while in the ground. The soil in my garden (a meadow, in fact) is good and there is generally no real summer drought, so no real need to water. No raised bed either.
I also feel that JRP grow faster and better in my climate than JBP.
I have found another picture (summer 2012) which shows the changes between when I put it in a pot and now. Took all that time to get the needles closer. Maybe I should have approach grafted it.
20120708.jpg
I remember a post from you on another forum, about a great ground grown P. Sylvestris. How is that tree doiing?
Is it this one ?

Top Bottom