Judas tree, & 3 species of redwood stratification/germination

Ferg91

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello I currently live in St. Louis Missouri in USA. Six months into doing bonsai‘s and thus far I have been unable to germinate any Judas. I am roughly 1 for 100 in the redwood area. (Still alive but accidentally burn the starting leaf’s, growth is extremely slow but fully recovered from initial burn)

so far with Judith I’ve seen soaking them boiling them, slightly scarring them, most of the time they end up molding I put them in a humidity tray, i’ve tried many in paper towels with measures to prevent mold. 0% germination of about 50 seeds. I just got a new batch of coastal redwoods in today. I still have a few dawn redwood and currently in stratification stage for sequoia redwood. Any help with scarification/germination/stratification would be greatly appreciated.
Work at home currently so I have Plenty of downtime to nurse these lil tird birds.

may the force be in everyone’s favor on this day, until their last day.
MUWHAHHAHAHAHAH (In darth Vader voice)

but seriously hope everyone is doing well.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Judas tree is hard seed so should germinate better after scarification. I put the seeds in a cup, boil the kettle then half fill the cup with boiling water. Let the seeds soak for a few hours or overnight then drain and sow 1/4 inch deep in pots.
Maybe trying to germinate seeds on paper towel is the problem - hard to maintain good moisture levels.
Soil is natural place for seeds to germinate. Pots outside in the sun is good because UV is antibiotic.

Dawn redwood has been easy to germinate here. No treatment required. Just sow seed in pots and put them outside.

Ferg91

Sapling
Reaction score
Ah yeah all my stuff is via window in St. Louis. College apartment complex but All my windows are facing south so sun exposure all day.
Thanks!

Top Bottom