Judy-Ann's Mulawin

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Soon after moving to Baguio up in the mountains north of the Central Plateau of Luzon, the main Island of the Philippines, we drove down into the lowlands to the south on our way to Manila one weekend, and alng the way there was a road-side, front-yard bonsai collection of great extent and beauty. We got out, to look and were let into the completely packed front yard where we met the artist, Judy-Ann, and her Father whom she was training in the art, and who was carving on a gorgeous Bantigui (Pemphis) specimen. My wife saw a huge and gorgeous guava that day, which she eventually bought, and I eventually bought my own Bantigue from her a few weeks later, but spied it and discussed it with her that day. I learned later from her that she was impressed that I had a good eye due to my appreciation of the Bantigue, but she was also impressed that the only tree I wanted to buy that day was this gorgeous little Mulawin windswept that she had in a dainty little blue porcillain pot. She told me with pride that it was her own personal favourite, and was not for sale.

Besides her and her father, she also mentioned that her brother was a bonsai collector, and had gotten the bantigue with some collector friends of his up on Fugo Island off the north coast of Luzon, just before it became illegal to do so. She said I should go visit her brother sometime and see his collected trees,but a while later when we did so, it turns out a bonsai guy from Korea had bought almost everything he had just a few days before. But he then recommended we go - with his father leading us - to see his two collecting buddies down further south in the town of Urdaneta, Anthiony and Joel, from whom I've also gotten great trees that I've posted here. Eventually I gave each of them - Anthony, Joel and Anna - signed copies of my book, of which they were so appreciative that each repaid my gift with gifts of trees from their collection. Judy-Ann, recalling my interest in this Mulawin, made this her gift, which I greatly treasure. This little circle of artist/collectors here - whom I dub "The Pangasinan Gang" (Though Anthony calls them "The Black Fist Society" in artistic opposition to the overly and powerfully artistically stifling "Black Scissor Society" that rules the bonsai scene here in the PI.) I also - if I ever get my pet retirement project of publishing a book about the unsung bonsai artists and collectors here underway - hope to feature this talented group prominently.

Anyway, this little darling sits here in a new pot only 4 1/4" inches tall, to which I transplanted it soon after I got it. It sits off to one side for several reasons I don't need to go into here, but later it will be placed in a more aesthetically pleasing position in the pot. After a short recovery period following the re-pot, it is now pushing a great deal of dainty little leaves interspersed among its copious deadwood. I photographed it this morning during a monsoon storm befitting of its windswept styling, hence the mottled appearance of the otherwise nice pot. :)

Enjoy!

Judy-Ann'sMulawin-Final.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
A bit more flattering photo to post on the eve of the Super Typhoon, "Ompong," making landfall here ... perhaps ...

Enjoy!

View attachment 209590

lovely tree.
hunker down, stay away from any valley, ravine or low spot, not just the coast. hopefully Ompong will spare you a direct hit.

no matter where it makes landfall, millions will be without power or roofs for months

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I hope that a power outage doesn’t add to your ambivalence of your new home... lovely little tree! Does this flower?

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
no matter where it makes landfall, millions will be without power or roofs for months

We're up a mile high in Baguio City in the Central Mountains of Luzon, where occasional massive earthquakes have forced rather more stringent building requirements, so our experience will likely be a bit less unpleasant and dangerous than in lower and poorer regions. We rode out a category five typhoon several years ago while visiting here, and except for the fact that the roads out of here when we left the next day had turned into shallow rivers with a few downed trees and large branches obstructing the way occasionally, we didn't see the same sort of devastation that the news was reporting in lower regions. Appreciate your concerns, though, and we do plan to take precautions. :)

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope that a power outage doesn’t add to your ambivalence of your new home... lovely little tree! Does this flower?

I suppose it must recreate some way, but I've never heard of nor seen them having flowers or fruit. Glad you like it, but I can take very little credit so far for its beauty - I've only repotted and tweaked it in minor ways so far, and I'm just happy it's very healthy and the leaves are reducing even more so far under my care.

Top Bottom