JudyB 2020-2025 Azalea

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice! What color are the flowers? The tag is covered by the leaf. Do you have a pot lined up for it or you plan to let it grow out some more?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The cultivar is called Spider dance. It actually doesn't have petals, only stamens. Tom told me that occasionally it'll throw a petal or two, and they are pink. Funny you ask about the pot, as when I decided to deal with this one today, I didn't wind up having a pot that would fit the way I needed to work with the plant. So I wound up using an old wine chiller and drilled some holes in the bottom of it. haha.
So @Pitoon do we need to document everything that is done to the plant as they evolve, or is it just an unveiling basically at 5 years? I've already bare rooted, potted and wired this...

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Only stamens, that's interesting. That might have came from their Dragon line breeding?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Only stamens, that's interesting. That might have came from their Dragon line breeding?
Yes it did I believe. I only found out about it thru speaking with Tom, and asking what he had that he thought was interesting. I did find one lone picture of it from a guy who had a blog that posted about his trip to Nuccios. I'll see if I can dig it up

So @Pitoon do we need to document everything that is done to the plant as they evolve, or is it just an unveiling basically at 5 years? I've already bare rooted, potted and wired this...

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Watch the video in the main thread. Tom explains the cross they did. But is this one Japanese? I ever understood the fascination with strange flowers like Chojuho or Senbazuru. I get that in those cases the flower lasts longer because the petals become partly vegetative growth/green. But no petals at all? So this Spider's Dance then must have a Japanese name? Doubt it is that in Japanese. I don't know under which colour to look for a petalless azalea in my brand new dictionary. It must be in there.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Watch the video in the main thread. Tom explains the cross they did. But is this one Japanese? I ever understood the fascination with strange flowers like Chojuho or Senbazuru. I get that in those cases the flower lasts longer because the petals become partly vegetative growth/green. But no petals at all? So this Spider's Dance then must have a Japanese name? Doubt it is that in Japanese. I don't know under which colour to look for a petalless azalea in my brand new dictionary. It must be in there.
I have a senbazuru, I just love the color! I don’t really know much about this plant except that it’s one of Nuccios dragon types. Look under pink I guess. I have not yet had time to check out that video but I will soon.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I assumed it was from their own, but then he said 'they love this stuff in Japan'. Which made it sound like the original no-petal one came from there. And then they made their cross. So the no-petal one is called 'Nuccio Spider Dance'? Well that then means that it is theirs. I need to watch the video again, lol.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Harunobu -
The tag didn’t read nuccios spider dance, but I did find it listed that way on this plant database
i may call Tom again in the next day or so, and can ask

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ok so the original satsuki is 'Shiraito no Taki' Now, my satsuki dictionary shows it has white flowers, some very cut up, some complete. I guess at Nuccio they had one that progressed/reverted to no petals.

And then they crossed their petal-less Shiraito no Taki with Benigasa, and the result is 'Nuccio's Spider Dance'.

Your label has 'spider' crossed out? But it doesn't say spider? Hmm.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok so the original satsuki is 'Shiraito no Taki' Now, my satsuki dictionary shows it has white flowers, some very cut up, some complete. I guess at Nuccio they had one that progressed/reverted to no petals.

And then they crossed their petal-less Shiraito no Taki with Benigasa, and the result is 'Nuccio's Spider Dance'.

The tag said Spider dance, just not “Nuccios”. The name was not readable in my photo as it was obscured by the other side of the tag closure And a leaf.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Oh, I'm a liar, I grabbed the tag out of the bin and there it is, Nuccios Spider Dance...LOL.
So here it is potted and started down the road.
IMG_2737.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
All good, looks the same as the last pic, but popping new tiny buds where cutting happened.

Top Bottom