JudyB 2020-2025 Azalea

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Spring is here and your azalea could be blooming (depending on your location) or starting to leaf out with this season’s flush……it’s time for updates!

I would also like to add at this time we have 3 prizes to award. Many thanks to @Forsoothe! and @Deep Sea Diver for donating. I am also donating a prize as well.

If you are no longer interested in continuing in the Azalea Contest, please let me know so we can close your thread, thanks.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is the tree in bloom, it's pretty much how I envisioned it looking, like a cascade of fireworks. Not too bad development either for the year. This will look pretty cool when it is long and full. I will not repot this year, as it seems pretty happy as is for another growth season, but will eventually bring it up and move the cascading branch more toward the edge of the pot. At some point I'll have to get a pot for it, maybe something with a broken edge for the cascade to tumble from.
A before shot for comparison.
IMG_2732.jpgIMG_3680.jpgIMG_3681.jpgIMG_3682.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Me likes! 😁

You plan to remove the branches that have the flowers that are reverting back to normal?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Me likes! 😁

You plan to remove the branches that have the flowers that are reverting back to normal?
I don't know if it's really a reversion. This was described to me as that the flowers may have a few petals now and again. I'll let it grow for a another year, and see if the petals do show up again on the same branches each time or not.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I recently picked up a Rhododendron macrosepalum linearifoliam ‘Segai’. I'm looking forward to seeing the blooms on this one.

rawlyn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know if it's really a reversion. This was described to me as that the flowers may have a few petals now and again. I'll let it grow for a another year, and see if the petals do show up again on the same branches each time or not.
Hoping we get to see an update this year. This is such an interesting cultivar, and it will be fascinating to watch how it develops over time. (I actually went to the Nuccio site intending to buy one for myself, but it doesn’t seem to be offered any more) 😳.

Mike

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hoping we get to see an update this year. This is such an interesting cultivar, and it will be fascinating to watch how it develops over time. (I actually went to the Nuccio site intending to buy one for myself, but it doesn’t seem to be offered any more) 😳.

Mike
Growing well, will share a bloom photo!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Mike
Hi @rawlyn ! I have worked with Nuccios a lot over the past three years. Nuccio’s often have items not listed, and are out of items listed.

So you might call Jim or Tom and tell them you are one of those crazy bonsai guys and ask about the availability of this cultivar or which other strap like cultivars are available.

btw: Nuccios grew out a lot of cultivars this year and have more robust plants then last year when the ‘COVID Rush” was on at their nursery.

cheers
DSD sends

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
tell them you are one of those crazy bonsai guys
Last year when I asked them about repotting a Camellia, he said "Sure you can put it in a bigger pot". I explained I wanted to put into a smaller pot. His response was "you bonsai people are a strange bunch".
have more robust plants then last year when the ‘COVID Rush” was on at their nursery.
I called this year and asked specifically about azaleas for bonsai. They suggested 8 and I bought one of each. They are absolutely wonderful, healthy plants. The Kazan, I am especially excited about, it is a dwarf and has teeny, tiny leaves. My apologies @JudyB for carrying on on your thread. Can't wait to see yours in bloom.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not too bad going on 2 years. I am even starting to like the container, which is just a wine bottle chiller... lol... Sorry to be so absent here, but have a lot of caregiving going on, just can't seem to get any traction on having a life at this point. Not complaining, just the way the ball bounces sometimes!
IMG_4856.jpgIMG_4857.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Not too bad going on 2 years. I am even starting to like the container, which is just a wine bottle chiller... lol... Sorry to be so absent here, but have a lot of caregiving going on, just can't seem to get any traction on having a life at this point. Not complaining, just the way the ball bounces sometimes!
View attachment 439812View attachment 439813
Awesome little tree and glad to see you check in here. I had to do a lot of caretaking myself with both parents and know it can get exhausting. But with both of them gone now, I'm so glad I spent the time with them. I'm sure your mom appreciates all you do. Don't forget to take care of yourself and that wine cooler pot is so cool!

Top Bottom