Julian Adams wire?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've sent a request form to the email to buy some wire, and have not heard back. I heard a rumor that he was not selling copper wire anymore, so does anyone know if this is the case?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got some a month ago.
I ended up talking to him personally.
Try calling Judy.
He was very helpful and the wire I got looks good. I haven't used it yet but I will. I needed the thickest I could find and he had it.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yup i second what Mike said. Calling on the phone is good way to go.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm, I was thinking about ordering some from him. Hope he is still selling, I've used his wire for years.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I saw him at the Winter Silohette Show back in December, and he was selling wire. A friend told me they had just ordered some from him.

Gremel is still selling wire, contact him at jimgremel@gmail.com.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great to know, I want to try Julians, as I don't like the flakes that spall off of the gremel that I've had (something to do with the fact he doesn't water quench). I was using wire from a guy that I found, it was wonderful and great pricing, but he found he couldn't get good quality wire that he could resell at a reasonable price. I'll give Adams a call. Looked at Mirai, but it's very spendy.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have Julian’s number if you need it.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I saw him at the Winter Silohette Show back in December, and he was selling wire. A friend told me they had just ordered some from him.

Gremel is still selling wire, contact him at jimgremel@gmail.com.

He was vending at the BIB show and is definitely still selling wire.

S

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Julian Adams
(434) 384-7951

Tell him hi, from me!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Julian is old school and from Lynchburg, Va. I'm both of those too, so I can say it's probably easier to get him on the phone than rely on that damn email crappola ;-)

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great to know, I want to try Julians, as I don't like the flakes that spall off of the gremel that I've had (something to do with the fact he doesn't water quench). I was using wire from a guy that I found, it was wonderful and great pricing, but he found he couldn't get good quality wire that he could resell at a reasonable price. I'll give Adams a call. Looked at Mirai, but it's very spendy.

Don't think I've ever experienced that with Julian's wire. The knock on his wire is that the spools are a little tighter - some people prefer the larger spools that Gremel offers because there is less uncoiling. I haven't found that to be an impediment with Julian's wire though.

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Julians wire is very good. He travels to Japan almost every year this time for Kokufu, maybe you can try after another week or so and calling is better. Best to call him around 1-2 PM.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M Posting someone's number on a public forum is not a good idea. Spam bots trawl the net and harvest them to sell. Just saying...
I considered that. But I’ve posted his web site many times before, and his phone number is listed on his web site. Www. Adamsbonsai.com

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't think I've ever experienced that with Julian's wire. The knock on his wire is that the spools are a little tighter - some people prefer the larger spools that Gremel offers because there is less uncoiling. I haven't found that to be an impediment with Julian's wire though.
That, and he anneals his wire by using a fire. When the coils look to be about the right color, he picks them out of the fire, and drops them in water. Which removes the oxidized layer that Judy was complaining about.

Gremel, on the other hand, anneals his wire in a kiln. And after it’s heated, he lets it slowly cool. The oxidized layer is still there when he ships it.

Gremel is a former engineer for Boeing. He tested annealing each gauge of wire at different temperatures and lengths of time, then measured its bending resistance. And determined how long and how hot each gauge of wire should be heated in order to maximize its softness.

If you do a lot of wiring, you can tell the difference. If you don’t, then you might not.

They both make excellent wire.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Funny enough after I got back inside from finishing up the repots for the day, Julian had emailed me. So all is well and I'll have my wire soon. I did like Gremel's wire, but I kept getting that flaking layer spewing into my eyes. I did like Aaron Wiley's wire very much. Great quality soft, and no oxidizing layer. And well priced. But alas, he is out of the biz for now.
Thanks for all the replies!

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I got some a month ago.
I ended up talking to him personally.
Try calling Judy.
He was very helpful and the wire I got looks good. I haven't used it yet but I will. I needed the thickest I could find and he had it.
I like Julian's wire, and he has the best prices. Only problem is, if you want really thick wire, he doesn't have 4 gauge, which Gremel does.
That, and he anneals his wire by using a fire. When the coils look to be about the right color, he picks them out of the fire, and drops them in water. Which removes the oxidized layer that Judy was complaining about.

Gremel, on the other hand, anneals his wire in a kiln. And after it’s heated, he lets it slowly cool. The oxidized layer is still there when he ships it.

Gremel is a former engineer for Boeing. He tested annealing each gauge of wire at different temperatures and lengths of time, then measured its bending resistance. And determined how long and how hot each gauge of wire should be heated in order to maximize its softness.

If you do a lot of wiring, you can tell the difference. If you don’t, then you might not.

They both make excellent wire.
It's funny, Ryan had that same bias. But last time I was at Mirai and he used some of my wire (from Julian) he said it felt fine - better than he had thought it felt in the past.

Top Bottom