Jumping on the cement pot bandwagon.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Currently locked down/imprisoned in sydney and need some pots also to keep busy so im jumping on the bandwagon

Attempt number 1

I used cement oxide to colour this

20210720_103953.jpg

Attempt number 2

Instead of oxide i used brown spraypaint, no reason why i was was just curious.

20210727_120100.jpg

My main take away so far is the tool you make to shape your pot is super important for clean lines.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
right on, I'm just dipping my toes but I don't think they love my climate. A defeating feeling. mine are happy and the most brilliant color but I don't get the kind of growth you blokes from down unda get. I'd love to have either of those on my bench

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
right on, I'm just dipping my toes but I don't think they love my climate. A defeating feeling. mine are happy and the most brilliant color but I don't get the kind of growth you blokes from down unda get. I'd love to have either of those on my bench
Cheers!

They grow like crazy here.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I was thinking of making some concrete pots. Especially after my wife started getting into it because she got tired of spending so much money on ceramic pots when she got addicted to propagating her bajillion house plants. She made the pot in the front with a mold she bought from Amazon and some black magic craftery with concrete dye. I was so impressed with how clean and smooth it came out and with how easy and fast it was to make that I told her she should start making them to sell at the farmers market. I was hoping there was concrete bonsai pot molds for sale on the internet, but I couldn't find anything. Honestly there aren't many reusable concrete mold options out there, which surprises me with how the houseplant trend has taken off due to COVID lockdowns.

1627496361077.png

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I was thinking of making some concrete pots. Especially after my wife started getting into it because she got tired of spending so much money on ceramic pots when she got addicted to propagating her bajillion house plants. She made the pot in the front with a mold she bought from Amazon and some black magic craftery with concrete dye. I was so impressed with how clean and smooth it came out and with how easy and fast it was to make that I told her she should start making them to sell at the farmers market. I was hoping there was concrete bonsai pot molds for sale on the internet, but I couldn't find anything. Honestly there aren't many reusable concrete mold options out there, which surprises me with how the houseplant trend has taken off due to COVID lockdowns.

View attachment 388712
nice GF made a few, used the quikdry MORTAR mix for best results. i added bisquick to thicken one batch (lol)
and got a similar marble effect

nice golden pothos, my big one is kickin ass

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Some step by step shots of the process.
nice job. i remember someone using similar method for huge desert rose planters on youtube

love Aussie too. joel parko, mick fanning, ronnie dahl, youngbloods Brody Moss and Vicky, yewwww
also one of most popular youtube veggie gardeners, i forget his name, burly fellow
named a dog after Kirra point (wave, near burleigh heads perhaps)

omasou

Seedling
Reaction score
Are you sculpting and not molding the outsides?

Very impressed.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
nice GF made a few, used the quikdry MORTAR mix for best results. i added bisquick to thicken one batch (lol)
and got a similar marble effect

nice golden pothos, my big one is kickin ass
Oh man. Those are just cuttings from the parent I affectionally call Goliath. My ex-coworker bought some plants for his cubicle one day, including a small Golden Pothos that he for some reason decided to plant in a 5 gallon pot. Well shortly after he brought it in, while I was on vacation, he quit and left the plants. My other co-workers for some reason thought I'd want them so I came back to all his plants on my cubicle. I just kind of ignored them until Goliath shed a leaf on my head from die back since I wasn't watering them. I felt guilty and started watering the plants and using some Miracle Gro African Violent plant food I picked up at Walmart on clearance. Eventually Goliath overtook my cubicle to the point where I felt like I was working in a jungle. Around that time my wife bought a couple houseplants and I told her "I have a large Pothos at work that I need to bring home." She got excited, but didn't understand my emphasis on "large." The picture below is right before I brought it home, and then about 4 months from it being in our house. That was 2 years ago. Since then it's started absorbing my house. I bought some command strip clips and started sticking them on the wall and guiding the vines around the beams and ceiling of our house just because they were becoming a tripping hazard. Now the decorative beam thing in my house looks like some kind of Roman architecture. I'm afraid if I repot him into something bigger, he'll grow even faster and strangle me in my sleep.

Attachments

• Goliath office.PNG
    Goliath office.PNG
    183 KB · Views: 42
  • Goliath.PNG
    Goliath.PNG
    166 KB · Views: 38

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Groovy!

I really like these... I think it’s your lines, I’m a sucker for good lines... and good lines are nothing without creative expression. Soooo.. well done!

@liquid_back_draft , one of my best friends and local study group guys has been planning his “dive” into cement-fabrication...

I’m more of a “Hot-Bake” fabricator. 🤣

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
haha i hear you. they do well where a lot of plants dont, such as no-light offices

enjoyed the story, the employee jumped the gun on decorating before earning that right haha jp
but it worked out well for you and your girl

live action of my only office plant and she is loving it, pushing new growth in a windowless office
20210728_152017.jpg

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Are you sculpting and not molding the outsides?

Very impressed.
Sculpting in a sense. Its a lot easier than you think.

I used a similar methld to this video

The tool you make to shape the outside is the most important part i have found so far.

The tool in the video is a lot more advanced than the one i used

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Groovy!

I really like these... I think it’s your lines, I’m a sucker for good lines... and good lines are nothing without creative expression. Soooo.. well done!

@liquid_back_draft , one of my best friends and local study group guys has been planning his “dive” into cement-fabrication...

I’m more of a “Hot-Bake” fabricator. 🤣
Cheers!

Top Bottom