Juni year 2

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
looking strong. So its been establishing 3 years already?
When will you start working?

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
looking strong. So its been establishing 3 years already?
When will you start working?

Yes this is the third year. It's definitely strong enough for something next year, repot or styling work. If it had a whack of old mountain soil in there to worry about I would repot first for sure. It doesn't. I would like to leave it there and start some styling, the only issue with that is planting angle, that is easier to see what's possible by repotting first so... I haven't decided yet. Couple years ago I styled a tree first then decided to change the angle by about 70 degrees when I repotted. So of course all the branches need repositioning now.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve been trying to get some thing done to trees as I pull them out from storage this year. Just quick simple things that have been preplanned for some time. I pruned off much of the foliage on the upper portion that I plan on removing and put some movement into the future crown branch. Hard to see what’s up here still but it’s a step worth documenting for now, even if not well documented. The new leader was bent with guy wires tied back to the main trunk to prevent tearing away at the crotch. The future is more clear in person now. Mostly just growing for another year now, some periodic pruning probably. Repot next year style more detail the following year.
Before and afters from both sides here. 3A14DC4E-32BA-45C9-8EE7-A5326D5F1217.jpeg96EDBFC9-7A7A-4BA0-A34F-B10112A9D6E8.jpegC70414C6-39B8-4BAD-B02B-DD06A0EB724D.jpeg7267745C-2045-4DC2-870D-AF246B75D60B.jpeg08F1D981-6ED2-4695-9452-6DF7CE14C0A9.jpeg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Repotted a few weeks ago to the desired planting angle. I had given my mom my circular saw a couple days before this because I just got a new one. A bit of a panic when I realized the new one had no blade on while the tree was hanging waiting for a box. This old wooden Apple box slightly rebuilt was close enough. The wood out the front was a live root upon collection, not anymore and it’s pretty cool but I really don’t know how much of it will ultimately be kept. I still think I can place the canopy next year. 8524E806-8B64-41B6-8782-2E9267EC61B5.jpeg

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you found a container that really featured that escaping root, it would be very striking and memorable.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep it all!

Let it hang out, baby!

I thought you might say that, pretty sure I've seen a couple sticks hanging a fairs ways out on your trees! good to hear though, I know you get to see first hand similar decisions being made and I also dont want to cut it. There was a moment there during repot when I saw a big dead root and automatically reached for a cutter, threw the brakes on quick enough fortunately.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice wild juni! I dig all the crazy dead wood.

I really am looking forward to the next steps, gonna do everything I can to be unemployed for a couple months next spring, some of that time will be to work this one. I really wanted to ditch the job this spring but that would leave others in a tough spot...

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really am looking forward to the next steps, gonna do everything I can to be unemployed for a couple months next spring, some of that time will be to work this one. I really wanted to ditch the job this spring but that would leave others in a tough spot...

I hear you dude! I would love to have multiple days of uninterrupted tree time in the spring!

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you found a container that really featured that escaping root, it would be very striking and memorable.

the only issue i really have with that is having the thing hang down below the bottom of the container, just akward for bench placement, winter storage ect... Maybe by lowering the soil further and using a deep container I can just avoid that? Shortening the length means lossing the curve at the bottom...I leave deadwood decisions until the "final" form has taken shape more anyways, so we'll see but i do agree with you guys. the big hooker dropping down from higher up is probably a different story...

Top Bottom