Juniper Procumbens #3:

Early Summer:
IMG_8175.jpeg

Most recent:
IMG_9121.jpeg
IMG_9123.jpeg

Minor work:
IMG_9125.jpeg
A little paste to seal and heal, wire up apex when growth hardens, and slip pot in the Spring to enter development.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A good start

Kind of feel the inverse taper was caused by way more then two branches there. Not uncommon for procumbems junipers. Likely there was a number of branches at that spot.

Likely best to wire out the tree this fall.

If the plan is to up pot in spring, it’s best to do a proper repot. Slip potting is a temporary measure best done only if one can match the medias to avoid the lens effect.

Cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A good start

Kind of feel the inverse taper was caused by way more then two branches there. Not uncommon for procumbems junipers. Likely there was a number of branches at that spot.

Likely best to wire out the tree this fall.

If the plan is to up pot in spring, it’s best to do a proper repot. Slip potting is a temporary measure best done only if one can match the medias to avoid the lens effect.

Cheers
DSD sends
There were roughly 3 branches and crotch growth in that location. I stated in my post I’m wiring it up for literati, but I’ll let the scales lay down fully and harden and then apply wire very soon :)

I’ll be using all organic and black container for the standard development like my other junipers. I likely used the wrong term, but I’m putting the tree into a growing container with organic medium (no longer a bonsai container and inorganic) so it can develop and then go into refinement much later.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Inverse taper can be corrected fairly easily if you are planning on allowing the tree to increase in height and amount of foliage. If you are not planning on letting it get bigger, then inverse taper is much more difficult to correct.

Slip potting is a practice used only by "houseplant people" and is a poor technique for bonsai. Trees do not like their roots being disturbed. A classic beginner bonsai mistake is to repot a tree too frequently. One should plan ahead, repot doing all the root pruning and nebari work needed then allow the tree to grow at least 4 to 5 years or more without disturbing the roots. Slip potting causes damage, seldom has the benefit one desires. Plan ahead and do a proper repot with root work. Mature bonsai are often allowed to go as much as 10 years between repotting. There are exceptions, sometimes deciduous trees are repotted to deliberately slow down growth. But if you are still working on increasing trunk diameter then you do not want to repot more than absolutely necessary.

I would recommend against going back to an organic mix. Especially if you plan on returning to an inorganic mix as the tree approaches maturity.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good to see you back @Leo in N E Illinois !

Concur. P. nana will grow really well in inorganic media. We have three on the bench that are very strong growers in APL+ (1:1:1 + Biochar).

For growing out we use a pot that is a bit deeper and larger than a regular bonsaii’ pot.

Cheers
DSD sends

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Concur. P. nana will grow really well in inorganic media. We have three on the bench that are very strong growers in APL+ (1:1:1 + Biochar).

For growing out we use a pot that is a bit deeper and larger than a regular bonsaii’ pot.

Cheers
DSD sends

@Bonsai Forest - you probably know the code, but just in case there are any "new to bonsai members", the "code: APL +(1:1:1 + Biochar)" translates to akadama, pumice, and lava in equal amounts, plus a handful of biochar or horticultural grade charcoal. (note - charcoal briquettes for grilling food are NOT horticultural charcoal, they are coal powder, compacted to bricks.) Biochar or hort charcoal is added at about 5% to 10% of total mix. Exact amounts of all components is not overly critical. This is a tried and proven blend that has been shown to work over a wide range of environments. Other media can work well, but will need to be tailored to your specific micro-climate.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Inverse taper can be corrected fairly easily if you are planning on allowing the tree to increase in height and amount of foliage. If you are not planning on letting it get bigger, then inverse taper is much more difficult to correct.

Slip potting is a practice used only by "houseplant people" and is a poor technique for bonsai. Trees do not like their roots being disturbed. A classic beginner bonsai mistake is to repot a tree too frequently. One should plan ahead, repot doing all the root pruning and nebari work needed then allow the tree to grow at least 4 to 5 years or more without disturbing the roots. Slip potting causes damage, seldom has the benefit one desires. Plan ahead and do a proper repot with root work. Mature bonsai are often allowed to go as much as 10 years between repotting. There are exceptions, sometimes deciduous trees are repotted to deliberately slow down growth. But if you are still working on increasing trunk diameter then you do not want to repot more than absolutely necessary.

I would recommend against going back to an organic mix. Especially if you plan on returning to an inorganic mix as the tree approaches maturity.
Correct, I still intend to place the tree in development. Acquired as is, but will develop the same as my other junipers.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Trunk: terminal apex progression of maturity
IMG_2088.jpeg

Primaries maturing
Secondaries maturing
Tertiary foliage emerging
IMG_2084.jpeg

Again
IMG_2081.jpeg

Still planning to repot into growing container for development and thickening in the coming Spring 2024 - considering a future design:
AF4D26D8-78B9-436C-85A4-E7B9AE932287.jpeg

Top Bottom