Juniper #6

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Over the weekend, my club held its annual demo/workshop. The demo tree was a large San Jose juniper, and the workshop trees were smaller San Jose junipers. Mark Arpag, of Rochester, was our guest artist this year. Mark did a fine job, and everyone involved had a great day of bonsai. I was lucky enough to win the raffle, and the demo tree came home with me. For more pictures and details, visit our clubs website at http://mvbonsai.com/

Dave

Attachments

• 100_0524.jpg
    100_0524.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_0525.jpg
    100_0525.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 114

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Nice little tree Dave. If it were mine I would lose a little of the jin and concentrate more on the Shari when the time comes.

Harry

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Harry, thanks. The jin will certainly need work, as all that was done was the stripping of the bark. As far as the shari goes, you can count on it. We removed a bunch of branches, so when the wire comes off, I will start to introduce shari in those areas to accentuate the live veins. I saw Marco use a technique to bend dead wood that I think I will try in order to bring the jin in a bit closer to the composition. I imagine I will shorten it in the future, but for now, I'm in no rush. For the time being, its just food and water. Thanks again. Also, the club forked over a decent chunk of change for this stock tree, and I intend on bringing it back for future demonstrations, so the work may be scheduled around that.

Dave

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh yeah, Mark gave us a fantastic demo here in Utica, (where 'the action' was last Saturday). So glad that you won the tree raffle. It will get the best care possible and we know you will be bringing it back to the club for future work/refinement over the years.

Both Mark (Arpag) and Marco have given good instruction on jin, shari and live veins for juniper. You will be passing this along you your eager students down the road. Thanks Dave.

Can't wait for next month's BONSAI SEARCH PARTY!!

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Dave, youv'e been awefully lucky lately, I'm sending you a buck, buy me a lottery ticket would ya??:D

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh yeah, Mark gave us a fantastic demo here in Utica, (where 'the action' was last Saturday). So glad that you won the tree raffle. It will get the best care possible and we know you will be bringing it back to the club for future work/refinement over the years.

Both Mark (Arpag) and Marco have given good instruction on jin, shari and live veins for juniper. You will be passing this along you your eager students down the road. Thanks Dave.

Can't wait for next month's BONSAI SEARCH PARTY!!

Tom, you da man! Can't wait to work on this one over the years with the "crew." Love the enthusiasm, and the hard work you put towards making our litttle club the best it can be! See ya next month.

Dave

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dave, youv'e been awefully lucky lately, I'm sending you a buck, buy me a lottery ticket would ya??:D

Stragely enough I just pulled a horseshoe out of my....

Oh, and feel free to send me as much $$$ as you like. Although, I don't remember any other lucky circumstances in the recent past, I'm still happy to take your money. ;)

Dave

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Nice tree. Lots of trunk character.

Any way more movement can be put into those cascading branches?

I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is "no". San Jose are stupid brittle.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
I gots a question....I somehow got the idea that SanJose junies were needle junipers yet this guy is obviously a scale juniper. Am I missinformed ?

BTW , what Harry said.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I gots a question....I somehow got the idea that SanJose junies were needle junipers yet this guy is obviously a scale juniper. Am I missinformed ?

BTW , what Harry said.

I've only had one SJJ, but if I remember right, the foilage was a lot like Green Mound, the bark was a lot more pronounced and shari looked good on it, but that was 15 years ago and my memory isn't what it used to.........:D

Harry

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dave, no no you da man.You've brought the life and enthusiasm to our little Utica club - like nobody else could. It was our great luck that you visited our Spring show in Little Falls. Man, how things have changed since that day! You have gotten members to want to improve their bonsai skills. And you know how to keep the club from being just another social gathering. "It's all about the bonsai."

Dwight in El Paso - I think Dave's cell phone shots are a bit unclear. These San Jose's really do have needle foliage, and man do they bite. A couple of the ladies wore gloves, but not us 'macho' types. And, yeah, we all heard Dave yelp a couple times! :D

Harry - your memory is not so far off. These had very flaky gray-brown bark but we scraped them firmly with wire brushes and got this smooth mahogany sheen during our workshop. NICE!

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Dave, no no you da man.You've brought the life and enthusiasm to our little Utica club - like nobody else could. It was our great luck that you visited our Spring show in Little Falls. Man, how things have changed since that day! You have gotten members to want to improve their bonsai skills. And you know how to keep the club from being just another social gathering. "It's all about the bonsai."

Dwight in El Paso - I think Dave's cell phone shots are a bit unclear. These San Jose's really do have needle foliage, and man do they bite. A couple of the ladies wore gloves, but not us 'macho' types. And, yeah, we all heard Dave yelp a couple times! :D

Harry - your memory is not so far off. These had very flaky gray-brown bark but we scraped them firmly with wire brushes and got this smooth mahogany sheen during our workshop. NICE!

I think they make beautiful junipers.

Harry

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For the record, San Jose junipers have a tendancy to exhibit both scale and juvinile foliage simultaneously. Also, here is a better shot of the artist's intended planting angle. The quality is however not as sharp. (had to resize a smaller image)

Dave

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 37

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
For the record, San Jose junipers have a tendancy to exhibit both scale and juvinile foliage simultaneously. Also, here is a better shot of the artist's intended planting angle. The quality is however not as sharp. (had to resize a smaller image)

Dave

So will shimpaku's.

Harry

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score

I HAD a shimp /SanJose graft that was a spacticular tree. It was one of Mas Ishie's trees. Tha bark was wonderful and the shimpacu foilage just made it better.

Top Bottom