Juniper Berries

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could be, not sure. They are star like white flowers like this but much smaller (for now). What do you think?

juniper-1.JPG

Those are male

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I know that a lot of people believe and teach that Junipers are male and female and either one or the other. However in the research and study I have done over the years Junipers are monoecious, both sexes on the same tree, but my research is old and maybe that's not so. Any way the little with flowers are only pollen flowers. Most of my Shimpakus will do this and I have never once found a berry on any of them. In short unless you find berries don't worry about it.

Vance, I believe you are correct. At least I can agree with you on parsons juniper. I collected two older pieces and they were covered with both berries and flowers. I have noticed this on two other parsons that I have. I do have one of 9 shimpaku maybe 3 yr old cuttings that is showing flowers for the first time, but no berries.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks Vance. I posted a sample picture (from Google) above.

Those look like the female flowers and if they respond like mine they probably will not become mature or even fertile.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thread seems to answer my question: what are these white growths on my shimpaku? Neat!

Attachments

• IMG_8866 copy.jpg
    IMG_8866 copy.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 35
Top Bottom