Juniper bonsai shaping-new to bonsai

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am completely new to bonsai and I received this juniper (i believe) bonsai as a gift from my dad about a month and a half ago. He bought it from a lady selling them at a farmers market who told my dad the age of the tree, can't remember exactly, but know it is in the 5-7 yr range. Along with the bonsai, we got two bottles of "Green Green" fertilizer and care instructions. So far, i have been keeping the bonsai outside on my apartment patio facing southwest so it doesn't get the most direct sun in the early morning, but it does towards the afternoon. I had some issues in the beginning with browning needles (on the interior of the branches AND new growth tips) but i believe that was due to missed waterings??Correct me if I'm wrong pls! Aside from watering and giving the plant one bottle of the green green, i have not done anything else to the plant since i got it. My biggest grey areas are surrounding pruning, repotting, fertilizing, training, and timing. My biggest goal right now is to just keep it alive and healthy lol but i do find its current shape a little bit boring and would like to train the shape a little bit more down the road. That being said, should I let it grow without interference for a while longer or should i pruning it to maintain the shape? I have attached a couple pictures, let me know what you think about the shape. Also, how often does a juniper bonsai need to be repotted? As you can tell, I am just starting my bonsai journey and research so any info, advice, or words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Bonsai 1.jpgBonsai 2.jpgBonsai 3.jpgBonsai 4.jpgBonsai 5.jpg

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You are doing good so far and your tree has grown out of its original styling, so you can practice trimming it back into its original shape. If this is your only tree, you should get more or you will be waiting a long time between trimmings. If you want a new style, I would let it keep growing so you got a lot to work with down the road for a new style. As long as your tree is not root bound and the water is draining through the soil nicely, you won't need to re pot your tree. The only other reason to re pot, is when you want to change your pot style. Enjoy the craze!!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is very likely that the brown tips was caused from inadequate watering. Good that it managed to survive that and now looks healthy.
Interior needles will go brown as they get old. Needles only live for 2-3 years then die. That means branches will get longer and bare over time unless you prune to keep new shoots closer to the trunk and main branches. much easier to show than describe so you should seek out a nearby bonsai club or nursery for personal advice.
Fertilise regularly during growing season. Every 2-3 weeks is good.
Repot as already mentioned when the tree needs it. I find that root pruning actually stimulates most bonsai to grow faster the following season. Root pruning is not detrimental od dangerous for the tree so do not be frightened of repotting.
There are many ways to develop a bonsai. How and what to do really depends on what you want to achieve. to maintain what you now have you should trim regularly. To develop a better tree will probably mean letting the tree grow and other techniques. Again, personal advice from an experieneced bonsai person will be far better than online advice.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

What's that yonder, ferrets?

Sorce

Reaction score
You are doing good so far and your tree has grown out of its original styling, so you can practice trimming it back into its original shape. If this is your only tree, you should get more or you will be waiting a long time between trimmings. If you want a new style, I would let it keep growing so you got a lot to work with down the road for a new style. As long as your tree is not root bound and the water is draining through the soil nicely, you won't need to re pot your tree. The only other reason to re pot, is when you want to change your pot style. Enjoy the craze!!
Thank you so much for all the info! The water had been draining well and not pooling. As far as being root bound, I have not had the courage to lift the bonsai to visually inspect the roots. Is this something I should do now? Thanks!

Reaction score
Welcome to Crazy!

What's that yonder, ferrets?

Sorce
Hey! No ferrets here at the moment, my spoiled green cheek conure Akala lives there. Guess I should say “sleeps” there as she’s always on my shoulder hah. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thank you so much for all the info! The water had been draining well and not pooling. As far as being root bound, I have not had the courage to lift the bonsai to visually inspect the roots. Is this something I should do now? Thanks!
Probably not, if your tree looked unhealthy or if it has been in that pot a very long time, probably in the 7+ year range, you would want to take a peek. If your tree is doing great and getting proper sun and water, go with it until it is time to make pot change.

Top Bottom