Juniper Bonsai Styling Timing

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all,
I've struggled to find a straight answer to this question - when is the best time to do major styling on junipers?
I have a few I've done bits of styling on at the end of summer but nothing too major.

Main things I want to do are:
  • Best time for major branch removal / trimming
  • Best time for major wiring / bending (trunk and primary branches)
  • Best time for foliage removal
Thanks all

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You will find that there are many different opinions on most aspects of bonsai. Some agree but sometimes we get conflicting advice. That does not always mean someone is right and others are wrong. It usually means there is a far wider range of possibilities than many people will admit to.
It does not seem to matter what time of year you prune junipers. I prune whenever I have the time and a juniper at the same time. Trimming happens throughout the year whenever it is needed.
I also wire almost any time of year but I have heard reports of branches dying after bending in spring when sap flow is at peak. Theory is that the bark can separate from the wood easily at that time and interrupt sap flow? so maybe avoid bending in the growth season. It may depend how severe the bends are to be I think.
What do you mean by 'foliage removal'? Junipers should not be defoliated. Trimming removes foliage but is covered above.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think the important thing to recognize here is to spread the major work out over a few seasons - the tree will thank you for it. Secondly, try & keep on as much foliage as possible to avoid it going juvenile & to keep the tree strong.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
[*]Best time for major branch removal / trimming: spring, just as the tree is coming out of dormancy.
[*]Best time for major wiring / bending (trunk and primary branches): also spring, or in early fall just as temps cool.
[*]Best time for foliage removal: during the growing season, sparingly to maintain a clean look on finished trees.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Perfect thanks all. I'm not planning on doing everything at once but just want to plan the seasonal calendar. By foliage removal I just mean the unwanted bits on the main trunk etc.

The species I have only produce needle foliage, easier for me to practice on. I just want to start bringing the branches in a bit and do the next stages of refinement. This is it after the work from last season, I have a few of this species.

20180627_202523.jpg

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Perfect thanks all. I'm not planning on doing everything at once but just want to plan the seasonal calendar. By foliage removal I just mean the unwanted bits on the main trunk etc.

The species I have only produce needle foliage, easier for me to practice on. I just want to start bringing the branches in a bit and do the next stages of refinement. This is it after the work from last season, I have a few of this species.

View attachment 223373
Cool what kind of tree is this it ualmost just looks like juvi foliage

I see now that im a few years late how is it doing id love to see progress shot

Top Bottom