Juniper care after repotting

Minas

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, my friends,

I just got two junipers (Juniperus horizontalis and Juniperus chinensis) and I had to repot them due to inappropriate soil. I was wondering how to process in the next days. Should I protect them from direct sunlight?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hello, my friends,

I just got two junipers (Juniperus horizontalis and Juniperus chinensis) and I had to repot them due to inappropriate soil. I was wondering how to process in the next days. Should I protect them from direct sunlight?
Full sun is ok post re-pot for junipers, generally speaking, but, as usual, it would really help to know what part of the world you're growing these??

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I put em right back into full sun in middle summer here with around 80-100% humidity.

Welcome to Crazy!

Location?

The soil may have been inappropriate for a bonsai books teachings, but likely not for the tree itself and your mission with it.

Sorce

Minas

Seedling
Reaction score
Full sun is ok post re-pot for junipers, generally speaking, but, as usual, it would really help to know what part of the world you're growing these??
I'm growing them here in Brazil. It gets really hot even in early spring. I'm new at Bonsai and usually look for lots of info before doing anything at all.

I put em right back into full sun in middle summer here with around 80-100% humidity.

Welcome to Crazy!

Location?

The soil may have been inappropriate for a bonsai books teachings, but likely not for the tree itself and your mission with it.

Sorce
I've heard that bonsai soil is really dependent on where you live and the weather. Both junipers were potted with high organic material soil. I re-potted them using 80% inorganic material hoping that this helps the roots to grow healthy.

Minas

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks, @sorce!
Hey @Minas I see you are from Jundiaí, close to São Paulo where I live.
If you need any help bonsai related I am right here.
Bem vindo ao fórum!
Hi Sorce,
Glad to know there are active Brazilian users in this website. I’d like to ask you how you proceed after repotting junipers in our region. Also, I’m struggling to understand how deadwood works in junipers. Does it occur naturally and we just make it more beautiful with lime or we have to really craft it? I could not find any video or book explaining how to do it for the first time in juniper, I only find videos of people cleaning and maintaining an existing one.

Obrigado!

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Also, I’m struggling to understand how deadwood works in junipers. Does it occur naturally and we just make it more beautiful with lime or we have to really craft it? I could not find any video or book explaining how to do it for the first time in juniper, I only find videos of people cleaning and maintaining an existing one.

I'd imagine it is much more common to find on collected junipers than nursery stock. I've made all the deadwood on mine.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
With my junipers I mist the foliage regularly, especially after root work. It is my understandignthey can take in enougn water through their foliage to survive on. I have a chinensis and a procumbens nana and they are both growing like weeds after a repot and major styling in the spring. The nana is in bonsai mix and the cinenesis is still in organic nursery soil.

Minas

Seedling
Reaction score
I'd imagine it is much more common to find on collected junipers than nursery stock. I've made all the deadwood on mine.

Cool. Did you follow any online available guide to do it?

With my junipers I mist the foliage regularly, especially after root work. It is my understandignthey can take in enougn water through their foliage to survive on. I have a chinensis and a procumbens nana and they are both growing like weeds after a repot and major styling in the spring. The nana is in bonsai mix and the cinenesis is still in organic nursery soil.
Thanks for the tip! I’ll do it everyday for at least two weeks to see if they can get stronger.
I also noticed some mealy bugs next to the soil. How did you guys kill them without injuring the plant? Any pesticide? Keep them in the sunlight after applying pesticide?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmmm...

I wonder if @bonsainut could create new “Regional” forum sections where those who live in those regions could share regional-specific information.

I’m thinking there could be a “UK” forum, a “South America” forum, an “Australia”, a “European” forum, etc.

Not that I’m trying to exclude them from the general Bonsai Nut forums, but when discussing climate, repotting schedule, vendors, soils, and sometimes species, a lot of that stuff applies to a small subset of the general forum participants. I think it’s great that two guys from Brazil have found a way to help each other. I think it would be even more helpful to them if they had a way to hold their discussions in a way they doesnt “clutter up” the rest of the forum. Perhaps there could be a way to “opt-in” or “opt-out” of certain forum sections.

As an example, I choose not to participate in the “tea-house”. When I hit the “new posts” icon, I don’t get the teahouse posts. If each forum section could have such a feature (like an “ignore” feature), that would be great! As an example of how I would use it, I don’t do tropicals. I would love to be able to “ignore” posts that appear in the “tropicals” category.

Just a suggestion. I’ll see if I can copy this to the “suggestions” section.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I think it would be even more helpful to them if they had a way to hold their discussions in a way they doesnt “clutter up” the rest of the forum. Perhaps there could be a way to “opt-in” or “opt-out” of certain forum sections.

Well, I hate to think I am cluttering up the rest of the forum.
In fact I find your suggestion could be pretty excluding when I think I might have questions I would like to get comments from all that relate to it.
Like... The OP is talking about Junipers, that are not tropical, for instance.

Minas

Seedling
Reaction score
I think it would be even more helpful to them if they had a way to hold their discussions in a way they doesnt “clutter up” the rest of the forum. Perhaps there could be a way to “opt-in” or “opt-out” of certain forum sections.
Well, I’m sorry but for me this is a way to make things much more difficult for beginners. I totally agree with @Clicio , I would expect to get advice from different people with different background and expertise, including you, for instance, since I’m not talking about tropicals. Sorry for clutter up the forum though.

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, I hate to think I am cluttering up the rest of the forum.
In fact I find your suggestion could be pretty excluding when I think I might have questions I would like to get comments from all that relate to it.
Like... The OP is talking about Junipers, that are not tropical, for instance.
Perhaps, “cluttering up” was a poor choice of words. If there were “regional forums”, your discussions could be “more focused”.

Is that better?

I’m NOT trying to exclude any discussion, I’m trying to have it be more organized.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
how deadwood works in junipers.

At the highest levels of Bonsai, where we should strive to be......

Deadwood works when it's old.

Deadwood on Nursery Junipers is like Chrome Rims on a shitty car.

Truth truth.....

There should be no carving, making, burning, etc......
That's all a novelty.
Stuff to keep morons busy.

Good Deadwood is brought down from the mountain.

That said, if you want to create it....

Do you think mother nature goes into a forum and asks how to make deadwood?
Nope!

Be mother nature!

Second thought.....

Save the $ from the carving bits you don't buy, the BS nursery Junipers you didn't buy, use the time you would have spent doing that moron carving at a second job ...

And buy an actual good juniper from the mountain.

Or the Brazilian equivalent.

Sorce

Top Bottom