Juniper, cascade (insights and suggestions welcomed)

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi!
OK, I've been reading many threads, and I like the progression series ecpecially those with pics. So I want to give back to community and hope to get a few tips along the way.
Now, this is a story all about how. My life got flipped-turned upside down. And I'd like to take a minute. Just sit right there. I'll tell you how I became the prince of a bonsai bel air.
Ok I'm not a prince, more like novice in bonsai and a court fool. This is my Juniper (not even sure which), which I tried to turn into cascade. I used raffia and strong thick wire to bend it downwards.
So the first pic is before styling, it's the tree as I got it.
The second pic is after first styling set in and raffia was removed along with wire.
The third pic is the freshest, when raffia and wire was introduced again and pulled the main branch even lower.
Don't mind the bad wiring.

What I woul like is advice on how to take care of it, regarding pruning. I read somewhere and it was discussed many times that one must not pinch these junipers but only scissor prune. Does anyone have a nice tutorial on how to with pictures? Also timing may be important when to prune new shoots, when do they develop etc.

Any comments or suggestions welcomed! Even more welcome any computer designed pictures, I have no idea how to create thoes.
Thank you very much!

PS I sincerely apologise for bad picutres.

2014.8.1..JPG 2015.3.23..JPG 2015.4.26..jpg

gjantzer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
man that tree was cut back hard. i wonder if they took a full tree and cut back this far in one cutting.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
man that tree was cut back hard. i wonder if they took a full tree and cut back this far in one cutting.
Not sure what you mean by that...

It looks good. I would try to get more movement into the cascading portion.
Thanks, good idea! Maybe the bottom third could get more of a movemnt in direction of the pot.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No offense, I think it would have been nicer as an informal upright.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Non taken. Maybe true, I was eager to do a cascade as a beginner always seem to be :p

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you should try to build some sort of apex with the top branch.

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I wouldn't touch it anymore let it grow and recover. It didn't have that much foliage to begin with. By bending it and thinning the foliage more it is further weaken. I would not touch it for at least a year, maybe 2. I know that's hard to do but at the end of that time you will have a very healthy tree and many more options (think branches) to work with.

Good luck...nice start.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks. The tree is in recovery mode now, till next spring. Hope it will grow fine. Thanks for suggestions and comments.

Top Bottom