Juniper communis - what to do

BonPiotr

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey,
I have recently grabbed simple cheap juniper communis from nursery and I’m thinking what to do with it or how to style it. I’m new to the hobby, but I want to try something on my own.

For now I have cut some branches to clear the trunk line and tidy things up and I think about semi cascade (tho i dont know if it will bend that much) or just leaving it be to grow more after wiring some branches and a little trunk bending. There’s also green garden wire just to make it more upright for now.

What do you think?

CECFAC82-C40F-42BC-B345-7A3285AC0DD6.jpeg8E8BF633-27F5-4075-87C6-1EDBDFB92AE5.jpeg5C6D7232-12F9-40E5-9305-AFAF0F3B5884.jpeg60E60CCC-BBF9-45EA-A0D3-C3E62204AFAF.jpeg768279B2-F2BA-47B7-945F-27E497A2AAA8.jpeg

tangledtanuki

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a beginner myself starting something like this from scratch is always interesting. My teacher has shown me and explains that you can create a juniper from a single branch basically and like a drawing you create a line that can twist. The other branches can also be bent and used to create those jins that the line can flow between.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Junipers are generally quite bendable. They get hard pretty quick so the trunk could be hard to bend but you can get a surprising amount of bend without breaking if you do everything right and bend carefully.
If you want even more bend there's a technique of wrapping the trunk tightly with something (raffia is used traditionally but some have used rubber or PVC tape, etc) before wiring. The wrapping helps hold it together while bending so you can make even tighter bends.
I posted some photos of bending shimpaku juniper on another thread yesterday that could give you some ideas of how much bend you can make in juniper. I think the one I used is around the same thickness as this one. - https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/s...hree-kishu-seedlings.56859/page-4#post-984933

I cannot see any inspiration in the tree as it is. In cases like this I just put some bends in and let it grow for a few years until something looks good.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Thats not Juniperus communis for sure, its probably Juniperus x pfitzeriana or J. sabina cultivar

BonPiotr

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Checked that in nursery where i bought it. You are right it’s Juniperus Sabina - Tamariscifoglia. It seems it’s very slow growing, spreading type, so now i’m not sure about that „project”. Also J Sabina needs more light, which i can’t provide on my balcony (only 6-7 a.m - 11 a.m full sun)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
my balcony (only 6-7 a.m - 11 a.m full sun)

Oof!

This will lead to other issues, with other plants, as well..

Let's figure it out.

Light "days" are constantly changing throughout growth season. I recommend chalking at three points during a day... to find your real parameters..

I do this at least twice a growing season.. until I "know" that particular arrangement well.

Do you have any other, non-balcony options that you can explore?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
(I also should point out that "Full sun" is related to how many hours of DIRECT sunlight your plant experiences... ((FULL is 6 and above hours of direct light in NURSERY phrasing... we lil' tree people NORMALLY use "full sun" to usually mean a deal more than 6))

To avoid confusion, I must state that I believe you meant to say DIRECT sun.

🤓🤓

BonPiotr

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I moved it a little bit and it is 6th hour of direct sunlight. I guess I will give it a try. If any problem with not sufficient light occurs, I will give it to my parents, so they can just plant it in the ground :)

Top Bottom