Juniper design assistance please!

Nelis

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi Nutters.
Need some help on the design of this (unknown) juniper. I bought it exactly one year ago. This is what it looked like then.

Attachments

• 20201011_162127.jpg
    20201011_162127.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 167

Nelis

Sapling
Reaction score
It was repotted last year and took well in the new soil. This is how it looks now.

Attachments

• 20211005_085242.jpg
    20211005_085242.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 147

Nelis

Sapling
Reaction score
This is my first juniper, and it will be my learning material, so I'm not too worried about stuffing it up, but if possible, would still like to create as good a bonsai as possible from this. I think I have the hang of deciduous tree design, but Junipers is a different story. I have been looking at this tree for one year, and still can't decide where to go.

Attachments

• 20211005_085248.jpg
    20211005_085248.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 20211005_085330.jpg
    20211005_085330.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 20211005_085424.jpg
    20211005_085424.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 20211005_085434.jpg
    20211005_085434.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20211005_085447.jpg
    20211005_085447.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20211005_085502.jpg
    20211005_085502.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 20211005_085513.jpg
    20211005_085513.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20211005_085528.jpg
    20211005_085528.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 112

Nelis

Sapling
Reaction score
The tree definitely has some character and potential, I just need to unlock it's potential.

The first picture is my current perceived front. My current idea is to jin all the thick branches, and to wire and bend the more slender one in the middle, leaning forward and to the left.

Anything better that I can not see?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Go with your current plan. There are always other options but procrastinating won't make any of them come to fruition. Far better to pick any good option and start work.
Make sure there is some foliage left to make branches and keep the tree alive and healthy. Often it is better to do juniper work in several sessions over a year or 2 rather than all in one go.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Next time style the tree before potting. You can do more drastic reduction when the roots are undisturbed and have a better feel for what kind of pot to shop for.

Nobody online can see enough into the tree with only two dimensions to tell you much on styling. I would (always) wire everything and then you can move branches around to form a shape. You will gain some familiarity with what you have to work with while you are wiring. You can chop here and there to suit after wired and moved, but you can't choose a longer length after you make a chop. Look at pictures of styles while you are doing this. It will help you "see" some similarities in your branches and help you see options you have.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't "jin" any of the long branches, it doesn't seem it would make much tale sense anywhere.

I think the lowest 2 trunks can be omitted from the design but should be left for health sacrifice.

I'd probably cut back the other 2-4 trunks to the closest healthiest first couple 3 branches and focus more on compacting it first. Growing out branches properly for wiring in a couple few years.

Seeing how they react to a severe cut will help you choose which are worthy of keeping.

Sorce

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The color and arching growth habit reminds me of a Tam juniper, maybe? Regardless, I agree with Shibui's advice to style it slowly, especially if you don't know what you want to do. Start with one or two branches you know you absolutely don't like or feel are way out of proportion and shorten them. Then look at the tree again for a few days (or weeks) and see if anything else stands out that you don't like and reduce or remove that next. When I don't know what to do with a piece, I approach it slowly like this. It's sort of an extension of the axiom, "If you don't know where the front of your tree should be, find the back. Your front's gotta be on the other side." And doing a little work at a time is less stressful for the juniper too.

For certain, reduce any junctions with multiple branches down to just two, so those spots don't get thick and produce ugly inverse taper on your trunk. If you have a lot of long, leggy growth, then maybe start with slowly pushing it back at the tips to encourage backbudding on the interior. Just don't remove all the heatlhy green foliage from a branch you want because it will die. Reduce, wait for it to backbud, then when that growth is strong, reduce some more.... Good luck and have fun with it. Sometimes you've just got to jump in and try things. I butchered several cheap nana junipers before I started to get some feel for designing them. Still learning.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'd start with this. Then wire remaining branches into position (For now, pull 'em down if you don't know what to do with them and so that they get light). Once branches are in position, keeping anything you're not sure of, clean foliage that's hanging down and w/in ½" of crotches. Keep crotch growth that you'll eventually reduce back to.

I'm a bit concerned that this foliage isn't going to cooperate with the size of the trunk.

Attachments

• nelisjuniper.jpeg
    nelisjuniper.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 89

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Bonsai is an exercise in illusion where the proportions of an adult tree are represented by a particular set of dimensions. The height of the tree should not be more than three times the width of the trunk (Diameter) at the base. If you are not happy about this dimension you heed to let the tree grow out and gain mass, or you need to cut the top of the tree down to fit the dimension, or ignore all of this and forever more have a crappy bonsai that never seems to attract attention, even your own.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually developing great trunk for several years IS great fun and most satisfying once done☺️.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And developing everything else is also fun. Precluding any part of the process misses the point of bonsai: it's a hobby, a way to spending your time creating what YOU want. That's different from a job where someone tells you what, where, when and how to do something. That's a job.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
And developing everything else is also fun. Precluding any part of the process misses the point of bonsai: it's a hobby, a way to spending your time creating what YOU want. That's different from a job where someone tells you what, where, when and how to do something. That's a job.
Most people that follow a hobby will want to succeed at it quickly, not have to wait twenty years to see results. Most people wanting to do painting with oil or water paints will obtain the proper tools and stuff and read a book, watch a lesson on Youtube or even take lessons. I don't understand why, when a question is asked about bonsai with a hopeless tree; when a perosn offers a cogent answer that is the truth their response along with themselves get piloried. Why don't we have a section for Woke Bonsai only, The truth does not matter lies only will be acceptable as a response????? It's a good thing the poster is not trying to learn how to fly an airplane. You may not like me but I will not lie to you, or kiss your back side just to keep keep up here.

Nelis

Sapling
Reaction score
So this is where I got to over the past year with this one. Changed the planting angle, removed some branches and did some wiring.

@sorce suggested I eventually remove both of the lowest branches, what is the feeling about it now? I feel that the left hand lowest branch have to go completely, not so sure yet about the right one. 20221106_104638.jpg20221106_104543.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Agree with removing one of the lower branches (include main trunk in that consideration)

My biggest problem here is 2 right angle bends low down followed by an almost straight trunk. The 2 don't seem to fit together well IMHO.
One option is to wire and really bend the straight trunk to match the lower bends.
Another option would be to remove of jin most of the taller trunk but the opposing lower branches don't leave much to work with.
If removing one of the lower branches the left side would appear to be the one with least positive attributes. I'd remove it completely of just a very short jin as any larger dead wood there will compete with the trunk immediately above and almost parallel.

Difficult to see much immediate potential in this tree so maybe work toward a longer term goal with it?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Capture+_2022-11-06-18-09-26.png
I'd be in here with a long term goal.
That seems enough foliage to keep it alive in a good growing season but there's no need to rush.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Who is it that says “make the smallest tree possible with the given material” ? Don’t do it all at once though 😂

Top Bottom