Juniper Fert.?

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just got a new juniper ; I was suggested high N fertilizers
I know this is a controversial topic so I'll just ask you what your preferred fert you use for your junipers and what you prefer for deciduous trees ?

Thanks again!

-Cody

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use Omocote-Plus for everything at the rate of about 1/2 teaspoon per pot gallon every six months. By 'everything' I mean, junipers, pines, spruces, tsugas, thujas, pseudotsugas, maples, zanthoxylem, katsura, maple, birch, elm, oak, ash, azalea, rhododendron, ash, cotoneaster, pyracantha, quince, crabapple, cherry, horse chestnut, euonymus, nothofagus, peony, rose, camellia, pieris. I currently have a yellow needle issue with a pinus strobus 'minima' that might be from a fertilizer issue that has been years in the making. I also lost a trifoliate orange after three years that e perpetually looked chlorotic in spring and never really thrived. My choice of fertilizer may have played a role, I suppose. At any rate, you don't need anything special for junipers, IMHO. Any ole balanced fertilizer will do. Organic ferts are fine as well, but come with an additional set of things to which you must also attend.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I found trifoliate orange hard to kill with 100% chemical fertilizer.
It must have been something else.
I feed my juniper cow dung pellets. Just a scoop per 4-6 weeks. They seem to do OK.

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you guys for your feedback ; do you think a 12-4-5 would be an ok fert to use on junipers and deciduous both ?

Again I know controversial topic but im willing to hear you opinions :)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Any balanced ferts will be fine. If your tree is young and still developing, heavy chemical feeds like miracle gro are fine. Once the tree is in a more refined condition, organic ferts are better, but pretty much anything will work.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I use Omocote-Plus for everything at the rate of about 1/2 teaspoon per pot gallon every six months. By 'everything' I mean, junipers, pines, spruces, tsugas, thujas, pseudotsugas, maples, zanthoxylem, katsura, maple, birch, elm, oak, ash, azalea, rhododendron, ash, cotoneaster, pyracantha, quince, crabapple, cherry, horse chestnut, euonymus, nothofagus, peony, rose, camellia, pieris. I currently have a yellow needle issue with a pinus strobus 'minima' that might be from a fertilizer issue that has been years in the making. I also lost a trifoliate orange after three years that e perpetually looked chlorotic in spring and never really thrived. My choice of fertilizer may have played a role, I suppose. At any rate, you don't need anything special for junipers, IMHO. Any ole balanced fertilizer will do. Organic ferts are fine as well, but come with an additional set of things to which you must also attend.
Put some rusted nails on the surface of the pine’s Soil. Fixed my yellow needles within a month.. Or get some sort of Iron supplement which in theory should provide the same solution chemically... I just have an abundance of nails lying around, it is what they do in Japan and seemed to work perfectly for my Pines.

As for ferts, to the op- just do it man! The specific type is less important than the amount and frequency of the application and, IMO, what Oso described above is boarderline STARVING your trees. I alternate liquid Miracle grow (just a few times per growing season at half strength) with various organic ferts applied to the soil surface. This provides a healthy balance of NPK and micronutrients. People recommend high N ferts for Juniper because there are no blooms to encourage but keep in mind those are commonly among the more “hot” mixes and can burn roots if over applied.

Now, keep in mind the stage of development, what they are potted in and type of tree can affect the amounts and frequency of application... but I assumed this is a fairly young tree you want to grow from the initial post?

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Put some rusted nails on the surface of the pine’s Soil. Fixed my yellow needles within a month.. Or get some sort of Iron supplement which in theory should provide the same solution chemically... I just have an abundance of nails lying around, it is what they do in Japan and seemed to work perfectly for my Pines.

As for ferts, to the op- just do it man! The specific type is less important than the amount and frequency of the application and, IMO, what Oso described above is boarderline STARVING your trees. I alternate liquid Miracle grow (just a few times per growing season at half strength) with various organic ferts applied to the soil surface. This provides a healthy balance of NPK and micronutrients. People recommend high N ferts for Juniper because there are no blooms to encourage but keep in mind those are commonly among the more “hot” mixes and can burn roots if over applied.

Now, keep in mind the stage of development, what they are potted in and type of tree can affect the amounts and frequency of application... but I assumed this is a fairly young tree you want to grow from the initial post?

Thanks you! Do you think a 12-4-5 would be ok for both my juniper and elms ?

And yes I want it to grow ill enclose a pic of the tree below ;

IMG_0567.JPG

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

I'm trying I find a dry fertilizer to put ok top and don't know any ?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Try Dr. Earth Organic Life fert. Dry pellets and slower/better growth than say Osmocote...imo ;)

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Has anyone ever used Green Dream Bonsai Feetalizer ?

Top Bottom