Juniper for Xmas, now what?

BigJerm

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I’m brand new to Bonsai and in over my head based on what I’ve learned with a few hours of research. My hope is to get enough advice to keep the tree alive while I continue to learn about proper care. Any guidance is very much appreciated. I just learned that it’s rather difficult for junipers to live inside (I thought it was supposed to live inside based on the 6 sentences of info that came with the tree) so my core question is, should I put it in my unheated garage in the (very) cold now to start the dormant period or will that be too much of a shock to the tree? I imagine that’s not a black and white question so here’s the background: I got the juniper 7 days ago and have kept it inside ever since, on a window sill and have watered every other day or so. I live in the Detroit MI area and it’s been very cold (highs barely in the teens (Fahrenheit) and lows in single digits. Next few days will be even colder (hi/lo: 14/2, 16/2, 7/-6, 5/-9, 10/0).

The tree seems fine but I did notice a handful of brown needles, and I’ve read that brown means dead. Not sure if my degree of brown is a concern but I’ve attached pictures. If it is a concern and there’s anything I can do, please advise.

I tracked down the tree I got which can be found here in case that’s helpful to know:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K57JJ96/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_QcRsAbR4HEZAN

Please let me know if additional info/details would be helpful and thank you again for any guidance.

Attachments

• 2BC8472A-24B6-457C-9415-7EFA1CBD3C0D.jpeg
    2BC8472A-24B6-457C-9415-7EFA1CBD3C0D.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 46C74A6C-7176-4CF8-963F-161F8FCA2423.jpeg
    46C74A6C-7176-4CF8-963F-161F8FCA2423.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 57
  • CC8AF0DE-B313-4F1E-8321-0976930122EA.jpeg
    CC8AF0DE-B313-4F1E-8321-0976930122EA.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 6AC6D13D-BB65-4C58-BE74-80E87C78C4B2.jpeg
    6AC6D13D-BB65-4C58-BE74-80E87C78C4B2.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 58

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I’m brand new to Bonsai and in over my head based on what I’ve learned with a few hours of research. My hope is to get enough advice to keep the tree alive while I continue to learn about proper care. Any guidance is very much appreciated. I just learned that it’s rather difficult for junipers to live inside (I thought it was supposed to live inside based on the 6 sentences of info that came with the tree) so my core question is, should I put it in my unheated garage in the (very) cold now to start the dormant period or will that be too much of a shock to the tree? I imagine that’s not a black and white question so here’s the background: I got the juniper 7 days ago and have kept it inside ever since, on a window sill and have watered every other day or so. I live in the Detroit MI area and it’s been very cold (highs barely in the teens (Fahrenheit) and lows in single digits. Next few days will be even colder (hi/lo: 14/2, 16/2, 7/-6, 5/-9, 10/0).

The tree seems fine but I did notice a handful of brown needles, and I’ve read that brown means dead. Not sure if my degree of brown is a concern but I’ve attached pictures. If it is a concern and there’s anything I can do, please advise.

I tracked down the tree I got which can be found here in case that’s helpful to know:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K57JJ96/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_QcRsAbR4HEZAN

Please let me know if additional info/details would be helpful and thank you again for any guidance.

Hi BigJerm,
Welcome to the site. As I am from a ‘Celsius’ country I will say hi but let others from around your zone help.
Sounds too cold for outside, even garage would be too cold. So outside in Spring and should be hardier by next Autumn.
Hope you enjoy your new Bonsai but please don’t over water it, as it would like to get a bit dry on top of mix before adding more water. (Maybe twice a week max watering). Over-watering in Winter esp. kills lots of newbie trees.
Also, apart from tropical trees, Bonsai live outside, even though your info said otherwise.
Anyway, I let others guide you as to how to deal with your climate and the winter cold :)

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m relatively new to bonsai as well, so others may have better advice than I do. That said, I think you will kill your tree if you try to put it outside now (I’m in Michigan too). The sudden shock of the teens and single digit temperatures we’re getting now are going to be too much for a tree that isn’t already dormant. I would keep it inside this winter and take it outside in the spring (and leave it outside thereafter).

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That soil will make it tough to gauge when to water. If the soil has lots of peat in it you won't want it to get bone dry.
Indoor Window wintering should be ok this year as it was most likey grown inside prior to purchase. Try to get as much light as possible. Dont cook it by adding light that puts off a lot of heat though. Is half of that pot is supposed to be a pool? You can fill that side half way up. That should add a tiny bit of humidity.

NO fertilizer until it is outside and temps get above freezing at night.

Make sure the soil is not 'wet' all the time. I would pick a spot near the pot edge to dig a little hole. This will let you see if it is getting wet under that top layer of soil. That's just a once or twice check. Some people use a chunk of a chopstick stuck down into the soil. You can check it out daily to see how far down is still wet. Like a oil dipstick.

There is a ton of info out there. Good luck.

Anyone from up north that can chime in please do. Texas weather is not quite the same so care may be different.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Give it as much sun as you can while it spends the rest of this winter indoors. My experience with procumbens nana juniper, which I assume is the cultivar this is, should be fine with a lack of winter cold this winter. I wintered mine in Central Fl for 6 years and it grew beautifully. Brought it to PA with me last fall and it handles the winters here (so far) unprotected with no problem.

It is the relative lack of light indoors that I would be concerned about, until spring. Again, give it as much sunlight indoors as you possibly can.

Starting next winter, when your tree is outside, I would protect it some with a cold frame or mulching it in with the tree sitting flat on the ground, since your winters there are quite a bit colder than here.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Junipers die indoors due to dry air, poor circulation and lack of light. So in principle these should be outside. Especially with heaters running,indoors is bad.

But indeed, as said before, puytting from a heated space into your 0F situation, is equally bad. Trees need to get used to the cold in orcder to be able to resist it. Do you have any space where it is colder then 40F, but not much colder then freezing? Even if it is a storage space?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would dump it out of there....

Wash the pot out.

Put some chips and salsa in there....

And eat them while perusing the internet for your next first tree!

Just playing...

But whoever got you that gift is going to get a little lesson on thoughtful gifts this year.
Hopefully they do not need you around, or enjoy your company....
Cuz while that tree may die....

If you catch this infection...
They are never going to see you again.
At least not without dirty hands and your eyes stuck on every tree in sight.
Even ones you thought you've seen before.

Catch the infection.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

BigJerm

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the great info!

scottc

Mame
Reaction score
For light get a $30 led off Amazon. Add that above. I did that with Two sage that grow right next to Juniper where I live and they are happy inside, So far......

BigJerm

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
For light get a $30 led off Amazon. Add that above. I did that with Two sage that grow right next to Juniper where I live and they are happy inside, So far......
Thanks Scott. I happen to have a “Verilux HappyLight 2500 is a natural spectrum compact energy lamp. It produces clean light similar to sunlight and designed to brighten your day” laying around. Any idea if that would have the same effect?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Suggestion to keep in coolest south facing window available until spring. Does pot have hole in bottom? If not watch watering so no wet feet. Please add location on profile;).

Top Bottom