Juniper Fungus reference pics

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello all.. This is a an elaboration on the thread I posted a few weeks ago about the juniper fungus running rampant in the northeast. This time, I am posting pics so people can have a reference.

Pic 1 is the sections of the tree that the fungus has killed. Pic 2 is the fungus now moving into another section of the tree. Pic 3 is the dead section removed section removed for a close up view. I believe the first sign is the foliage tips will turn brown. In no time at all, it moves up the stem and kills that section. However, it might work in reverse as well. Meaning from the stem outward, but I'm not sure.

Here is the link to the original thread.

Rob

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?7791-Watch-out..Juniper-fungus-in-the-northeast

IMG_38141024x768.jpg

IMG_38191024x768.jpg

IMG_38221024x768.jpg

Last edited:

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey Rob, was it too late to apply anti-fungal spray? It looks like there's still some green left on there, but I don't have much juniper experience and I don't know how quickly it can change from green to dead. ;-p

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rob, thats what I had on my P. Nana I lost, I hastened the death with the stuff the nursery guy sold me which seemed to kill it overnight. I had some show up on my Tanuki you advised me on in the middle branch so I decided to just cut the branch off and it seemed to check the spread of it, at least it has not shown any more signs of it for the last three weeks. I am in Ohio which is actually the midwest and the plants were in Florida for the winter with me so its either here , or possibly maybe even more likely it was in Florida where I picked it up as it seems everything hitchikes it way to Florida with the tourists that come from all over each winter, its a great growing environment with really no real cold to kill off anything, even every cold or flu that happens in the world winds up in Florida.

By the way thats a damn nice looking plant to have affected like that, I sure hope it recovers well for you, the trunk on that looks fantastic and I am sure you would hate to lose it to a fungus. Good luck with it.

ed

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Rob, that looks tough. Members of my club have had issues with their junipers and false cypresses this spring, though I'm honestly not sure if we are dealing with the same issue here. Have you or anyone up in MA taken an affected tree to a county ag extension service to see if an agent there can ID the issue and offer advice? If I were seeing years of work on multiple trees being destroyed by an unknown process/pathogen, I'd want to find out exactly what it is. Good luck,

Dave

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello All.. The tree is still alive and at this point, still salvageable.

Hi Dave, I may have to look into your suggestion. It was real hot around here over the last few days and I have noticed that my yew and hinoki are turning brown in some spots. It could be the extreme heat. However, it could also be the fungus spreading. In 13 years of bonsai, I have never had to deal with this. I think in the last year, I have had lost more trees and have had more sick trees than the last 6 years combined.

Here is a pic of the tree in this post from last year.

Rob

pictures2005.jpg

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
*Sorry..this posted twice for some reason*

Hello All.. The tree is still alive and at this point, still salvageable.

Hi Dave, I may have to look into your suggestion. It was real hot around here over the last few days and I have noticed that my yew and hinoki are turning brown in some spots. It could be the extreme heat. However, it could also be the fungus spreading. In 13 years of bonsai, I have never had to deal with this. I think in the last year, I have had lost more trees and have had more sick trees than the last 6 years combined.

Here is a pic of the tree in this post from last year.

Rob

pictures2005.jpg

Last edited:

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Yup! I've lost a yew, larch, and one of my shimps looks slightly better than Robs first pic. I've sprayed with Infuse, cooper...which both say they cover phymosis. It's very bad, and extremely difficult to even get under control more or less get rid of it. It's been also for me a very frustrating growing yr. disease wise.

Top Bottom