Juniper get together?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When and where? Si are you going to contact Ian? Are there other people we should rope in at this point?

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Greg, I haven't been able to get through to Ian this week. He might be out of town. I'll get back to you later, maybe by this weekend if he call me back.

I found a taller stand that maybe could be better for your demo tree. It is slightly smaller but 2-3 inches taller and more ornate. You're welcomed to borrow it if it's better. I couldn't find it last week.

Si

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Si perhaps next weekend? I might also hit you up for another stand - one that I ordered did not come through. It is just for the gardening group so I'm probably over-preparing, but I hope they will be pleasantly surprised.

I have a hankering to build some of my own stands now, especially when I see some of the prices. It would be a fun project, nice and easy to manage, and I can create exactly what I need.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Greg, next Sunday would be great for me. Ian replied, but he is not sure about next weekend yet. Saturday might be ok for me too if the weather is good.
I have a lot of stands and slabs of all sizes, so you will not have trouble finding one to fit. I did not show you my stash upstair. I would love to make stands too. But no time. Life is too short. I had started to get tools for doing it a few years ago. I got a very good band saw on wheels if you want one for cheap.
Si

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Alright, it is now official. The first OC Study Group meeting is next Sunday March 7th from 1-4 pm at my house. People are welcomed to come earlier if they need more time to work on their tree. Ian is notified and will be coming. I will invite Bonhe too, but he is too far and might not make it. No rules. Just bring something to work on or just hang out and chat.

Greg, could you make it so that IanB can get in to this group. I don't think he can see this section yet.

See you next Sunday.
Si

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Si, thanks for inviting me. I think I can come this Sunday. I know it is too far for me, but who cares, since it is a great opportunity to meet with some big guys here :). It will be lot of fun, I think. Bonhe

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Bonhe! We will have a lot fun. Bring your camera so we can post some pictures on here later. And a stand or stool for your tree to work on. Come earlier if you want. I could use some help. If it rain, we can work in my solarium. So I will need some help clearing out some stuffs.
See you on Sunday.
Si

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Just a reminder to anybody who is interested. So far, I have Bonhe, Ian, Bnut, and me:D, for this first OC Study Group meeting. It is at my house (at least for this first meeting) on Sunday 3/7/10, from 1 to 4 pm, rain or shine. If it rained, we can work in my garage (but we will have to share with my 2 cars) or in my solarium (if I can de-clutter it in time). Everybody is welcomed to come early if you need more time.
Hope to see you all then.
Si

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
The neglected overgrown ones are the best! Bring it.
I am thinking about setting up an African ciclid tank in the sun room. Maybe a rocky tank for about 6 or 7 Frontosa. I am done with reef tank man. Cost too much. I still have a running 20-gallon live rock tank in the garage to take care of.
Hasta manana!
Si

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today I had very nice time hanging around with IanB, BNut and Si. Weather at first 2 hours was nice then it's rain when we almost finished. We worked on juniper. Like he said, Bnut bought a neglected tree but it has a bright future ahead I believe. I took some pictures to share. Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_1214.jpg
    DSC_1214.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_1216.jpg
    DSC_1216.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_1217.jpg
    DSC_1217.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_1218.jpg
    DSC_1218.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_1219.jpg
    DSC_1219.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 28

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Few more pictures. Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_1220.jpg
    DSC_1220.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_1221.jpg
    DSC_1221.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_1222.jpg
    DSC_1222.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 29

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Bonhe, thanks for the cool pics. Did you snapped some of Ian's cool shimpakus and mine? I tweaked my little tree some more afterward and can send some updates later.

This was a good first get together. Not too much done, but ok for a just 2-3 hours. Because of longer and warmer daylight, next time let's go from 1 to 5 pm, still in time for people to make it home for dinner. Let's do a bonsai show too. The San Diego club show is in April 25 weekend if anybody is interested in carpooling.

I think our little study group can expand to include a few more people. It is open to anybody who want to join. Please feel free to suggest or bring in a friend.

Anybody wants to host the next meeting? My backyard is always open. We could meet up at the last weekend of March. Any one interested?

See you guys soon.
Si

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Si, this is Ian's tree. Sorry, I didn't take a picture of yours. I have to work on 4/24/10! Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_1215.jpg
    DSC_1215.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 13

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Good time! I'm looking forward to the pine session :)

By the way - the bonsai demo today went great! The ladies were very impressed :) Some of them were very interested in bonsai.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Good time! I'm looking forward to the pine session :)

By the way - the bonsai demo today went great! The ladies were very impressed :) Some of them were very interested in bonsai.

Good to hear the demo went well. You should submit your demo tree here for us to critique;) We'll be the judge:D
I'm looking forward to the pine session too. Maybe you could bring the Boon's dvd so we can watch it together. It is not too long right? That could be a great source of inspiration before we chop our pines to bits.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Ian, what brand of fertiliser did you use on your shimpaku junipers. Your junipers' foliage looked so good! Did you use Green King? I usually use cottonseed meal exclusively, but my junipers are not so green.
Si

Top Bottom