Juniper help request

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have this juniper for a little over 2 years, I have done pretty much nothing other than just repotting it, and the reason? Well, I think it has a pretty bad branch structure, there's only 3 main branches. The trunk its a nice 2.75" diameter. But the branches are just driving me crazy, I have no idea what to do with them, specially with the branch that comes forward and suddenly shift backwards.

Any suggestion its very welcome.

9PP7Dl.jpg

NRmwIl.jpg

You can see more images here

Reaction score
alonsou, I think your juniper needs some drastic changes... first I personally think you probally need to put this plant in a slightly larger pot, for health as well as aesthetics... while you are doing this I would change the angle of your plant when repotting... then remove the branch you do not like, and jin the one on the left. Then start working on carving a shari... padding you foilage as well as wiring your branch placement... Just not all at the same time !!!
good luck...

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Good points from Stacy, all to often newer practicioners hesitate to remove un-needed /useable branches because they are big, you have to look to see what this can be and head it in that direction.

After removing one or two of those (might as well call them 3 trunks) you will also get some new budding, which could fall exactly where you might want a branch to make your vision. It can be the hard part for newer people, but find the trunk line you want, then it's easier to figure out which branches are cut off or jinned.

Top Bottom