Juniper help!

lyywangi

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all!

First time posting here and seeking for some urgent help!

Please see attached pictures for reference.

It has been pretty hot lately in Seattle, I usually water my plants once when the sun goes down. This shimpaku has been turning brown gradually.

I repotted earlier this year around March and probably did a not so good job.

Anyway to save it based on the pictures?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20180809_205621.jpg
    IMG_20180809_205621.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20180809_205539.jpg
    IMG_20180809_205539.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20180809_205530.jpg
    IMG_20180809_205530.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20180809_205520.jpg
    IMG_20180809_205520.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20180809_205447.jpg
    IMG_20180809_205447.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20180809_205437.jpg
    IMG_20180809_205437.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 64

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi lyywangi, glad you found this great site !

I don't do juniper myself, but I'm afraid yours looks pretty far gone to me. Hopefully some juni experts will chime in soon.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the forum. I’m no expert on junipers, but once they are Slow to show evidence of a problem. I had one that looked similar a few years ago. It was root damage due to an overly dense potting mix. I would guess it either dried out or your soil is not draining properly. I can’t tell from the pictures. I think it may be too late for this one, but I do hope this helps.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only think you can do is mist it as frequently as possible. Allow it some early morning sun. And keep out of dry hot winds. Do not let the roots dry out, but keep rather dry instead of overly wet.
Chances are slim but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Probably unlikely to save it, but it does still have a couple live shoots. Did you remove a lot of roots at repotting? Did you wire it securely into the pot? How dry is the soil when you do get around to watering it? Maybe switch to watering in the early morning, and check it again later in the day. There is nothing wrong with watering while the sun is still shining. I assume you’re keeping it outside all the time? Seattle’s climate is fine for keeping junipers outside year-round.

lyywangi

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!

This is unfortunate...we might have removed too many roots when we were repotting. I usually water them when the soil is a bit dry (appears to be in a pale ish color). However, probably did not do a good job of packing the soil mix so whenever we water, the little rocks come off at the top, does it affect the way it drains?

Also, have another two shimpaku starting to do similar things but definitely not as bad as this one is, what should I do to save those two? I will upload pictures tonight for the other ones.

Bringing them to a local Bonsai store tomorrow for someone to check it out.

Last edited:

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
In an event like this, would you guys recommend removing the brown foliage? Does it matter?

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've saved a lot of trees by pulling them out of the pot and planting them in the ground for a year or two. My best guess is that yours is already dead, but if it stays in that pot I can guarantee that it's dead. Ive only been doing this since 2013, but I have been able to save trees this way. It's best to catch it earlier, though.

lyywangi

Seedling
Reaction score
I've saved a lot of trees by pulling them out of the pot and planting them in the ground for a year or two. My best guess is that yours is already dead, but if it stays in that pot I can guarantee that it's dead. Ive only been doing this since 2013, but I have been able to save trees this way. It's best to catch it earlier, though.

Interesting, won't be able to do that since I live in an apartment though :( Good information indeed!

lyywangi

Seedling
Reaction score
Let's assume this is dead (still in denial stage), anyway to repurpose this or incorporate this into a new bonsai tree? which forum should I visit to learn the techniques of doing that?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not sure it would be worth it. You can look at tanuki, which is what you want to do. But I am sure there are better trunks to try it with.

I would not give up just yet. Treat as described. If you have HB101 add this to your water. Not sure it really makes a difference, but as some people swear by it..

This is one that came back to me, after being dug from a field, atacked by root aphids, blown over during a storm when I was away, laying on its side for 2 weeks before I returned.. I did nt take pictures because I was sure it would be tossed. I left it in a sheltered spot though and..

In spring 2016 the first signs that it might come back are greener foliage:
1533967595580.png

2018, past recovery stage, back towards back-budding and getting foliage near the trunk:
1533967732482.png

1533967762173.png

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
I am not sure it would be worth it. You can look at tanuki, which is what you want to do. But I am sure there are better trunks to try it with.

I would not give up just yet. Treat as described. If you have HB101 add this to your water. Not sure it really makes a difference, but as some people swear by it..

This is one that came back to me, after being dug from a field, atacked by root aphids, blown over during a storm when I was away, laying on its side for 2 weeks before I returned.. I did nt take pictures because I was sure it would be tossed. I left it in a sheltered spot though and..

In spring 2016 the first signs that it might come back are greener foliage:
View attachment 205365

2018, past recovery stage, back towards back-budding and getting foliage near the trunk:
View attachment 205366

View attachment 205367

I've heard of HB101 it's like a miracle fertilizer right?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is some extract from conifers. Is supposed to have some aminiacids/vitamins that normally are produced by the roots. By adding it to the foliage, you get the foliage to think there are growing roots. Or so the story goes.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
It is some extract from conifers. Is supposed to have some aminiacids/vitamins that normally are produced by the roots. By adding it to the foliage, you get the foliage to think there are growing roots. Or so the story goes.

Ooohhh I thought it was used in watering the roots. Makes sense I suppose.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score

Wouldn't something like this be ideal for cuttings?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wouldn't something like this be ideal for cuttings?
Yeah. The package claims miracles on anything from cuttings to seeds. Watered or sprayed. I think you eed to wave the bottle during full moon three times over the plant to get optimal results though ;)

That being said.. i have it and use it in cases of very weak trees. Not sure it works, but well.. So far, does not harm?

Top Bottom