Juniper ID and advise

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi guys, I bought this juniper sometime last year (around summer I think) and cleaned up the top of the soil till a place where I found a few roots, then cut the top of the nursery pot to allow me to water/fertilize easier. I was going to repot it this year but didn't get to it because of all the work I had around the house and the family activities. Can this still be repotted now?

Also, do you guys know what variety it is? I have looked online at a few places that sell them to see if I can identify the foliage but so far no success. Right now it is almost double the size of the picture, full of berries and dropping inside needles (probably old needles). I have it in full sun dawn till around 6 pm that the house and the fence blocks it. Feeding every two weeks with miraclegrow, but thinking about using fish liquid soon, and Osmocote Plus every 4-6 weeks.

I will try to take more pictures tonight and post them up. I finally finished (at least I want to think so) setting up the grow area this year so I should have some time before I start top dressing and leveling the lawn.

Thanks,

pic of when I bought it
Juniper.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks Parsoniish.

What's the label say? Juniper#3?

If it's that healthy and you keep it uncut up top, I'd reckon you can safely repot any Full moon you can ensure the roots stay wet after.

Sorce

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Juniper # 10, I thought about Parsonii, but all the ones I have seen in person look more green than this one. This one have a little blue to it.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In a little dryish conditions junipers and pines make more cuticle wax which turns the shine blueish.
I wish I could mimic it without endangering my trees health - and without too much effort from my side. Scots pines in our sandy heathe areas have this wonderful blue hue. As soon as we put them in a container and take good care of them, they turn green. Friggin shame!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Always hard to ID junipers from photos. Many species have superficially similar foliage and now growers have selected many different forms of many species for gardens the huge variety of foliage types makes it even harder. Accurate ID is probably based on both foliage and cone shape. On the + side care does not vary much between juniper species.

Junipers cope with repot and root reduction later than many species. I repot most of my junipers after all the deciduous and pines have been done and have no problem. By that time most have already started to grow. I would still be comfortable to repot juniper at that stage down here but results can vary depending on many factors.
I noted a comment from Paolo Nastasi in the current Bonsai Focus magazine that he prefers to repot Juniperus sabina "when the tree has the so called 'arrows' or strong shoots" It is not clear if that means later in spring or if that is to differentiate between weaker and healthy trees.

Inner needles dying is almost certainly natural death of older needles but can also be lack of light in very dense trees like this one.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks Parsoniish.

What's the label say? Juniper#3?

If it's that healthy and you keep it uncut up top, I'd reckon you can safely repot any Full moon you can ensure the roots stay wet after.

Sorce
What if you repot in daylight?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm repotting this one this year, it has grown nicely to around 5' wide but the height remain about the same. According to Ryan for junipers he recommends not cutting back as this allows the foliage to recover the roots. But, would that much foliage not be a detriment to the tree? I am moving it into a Rootpouch for a few more years, hopefully 2023 to recover the roots, then 2024 for first styling then moving it into a pot on 2025. Do this sound reasonable? I seen a few posts of people root pruning and cutting back/styling then ending up with major die-back.

Also, I received 2 new junipers, a shimpaku and a kishu on 1 gal containers from Brent. Can I move those with root work into a grow bag? Or should I leave in the 1 gal till next year? The root ball is definitely not intact, as the tree wiggles a little bit on the current container. This will be allowed to grow for quite a few years as well.

Top Bottom