Juniper ID

Reaction score
New to this site and new to bonsai! Need help to get to know the tree more. Anyone knows what type of juniper this is? What does it need right now? Do I need to cut dead branches? Trim foliage? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 95F28AF6-F755-4388-B0D2-E130177C966B.jpeg
    95F28AF6-F755-4388-B0D2-E130177C966B.jpeg
    468.1 KB · Views: 43

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I would be guessing from that picture, not close enough to the foliage, but from what I see in that pic, it looks like a procumbens Nana juniper. Nice movement in that trunk, would like to see a closer pic of that as well? Good tree, Enjoy!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks like a procumbens, if you're in the US that's possible, here in Europe they tend to keep their needle foliage.
A close up of the bark and the foliage would come in handy. Procumbens flakes differently than other junipers.

What it needs right now depends on what season you're in and how long you've had this tree. Keeping it alive is your first goal.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

What're them cones fer?

Sorce

Reaction score
Welcome to Crazy!

What're them cones fer?

Sorce
Kids use it for soccer training. For some reason it made it to the photo. Here are a few more up close.

Attachments

• B2BCE7D6-0386-4876-8D4F-ABD975DEAB91.jpeg
    B2BCE7D6-0386-4876-8D4F-ABD975DEAB91.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 20

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

To be honest, It seems the folaige is so far away from the trunk, you might consider picking up some Shimpaku cuttings, and growing them out while you practice grafting.

Skip worrying about it's ID, make it what you want and get good branch location starts.

Seems a decision that should be made before exerting much effort into it.

Having tight folaige close to that trunk will work accentuate it's sexiness! Seems you could have some Medusa Jins too! Those can be neat.

Sorce

Reaction score
Nice.

To be honest, It seems the folaige is so far away from the trunk, you might consider picking up some Shimpaku cuttings, and growing them out while you practice grafting.

Skip worrying about it's ID, make it what you want and get good branch location starts.

Seems a decision that should be made before exerting much effort into it.

Having tight folaige close to that trunk will work accentuate it's sexiness! Seems you could have some Medusa Jins too! Those can be neat.

Sorce
The angle I showed is where you see more foliage at the end of the branches and less inside. On other angles, it's fuller. Where can I get Shimpaku cuttings?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greetings, fellow tree person.. I see you have already been “Welcome to Crazy”d ;) So I will keep it brief.. redundancies in the Tiny Forest irritate the Woody Dwarves.

Nothing to add here, great information already provided.

Just swangin’ through, in true caveman fashion, jungle-hollering;

“Pleasure to make your acquaintance!”

Top Bottom