Juniper identification

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all

I got this multi trunk juniper as I thought it was quite a cool looking tree, it wasn't expensive, and it would give me a lot to work with in terms of learning and styling. It is a few trunks which have now merged in to each other at the base. I had two questions for you bonsai experts out there

1) It is a chinese juniper I believe but can you confirm the exact species?

2) I am planning to just water and feed it over spring/ summer (in the UK), and then start wiring down in the autumn. Is this a good plan, or if you have any styling advice it would be very welcome!

20200522_191048.jpg

20200522_191111.jpg

Thanks
Fred

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Shimpaku. And your plan sounds spot on..Learn how to clean the foliage to allow light and air inside during the growing season. Many videos on youtube about how to do it.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Really hard to tell because so many junipers have similar foliage. California Junipers look like this, golden junipers too, and yours appears to have some “golden” quality to it. Best of luck, that’s all I got!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Shimpaku was my first guess but the foliage looks too light. Maybe take some more pics after the new season growth has become vigorous.

Can you add an object for scale on the next one? It looks bigger than it may be, which is nice; its proportions are appealing. This is an attractive little plant with potential. I suspect there is a better front than the one you presented.

Keep it in full sun and water everyday while you learn what to do with it. It would be unfortunate if this one went to waste in the beginner compost pile.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
yours appears to have some “golden” quality to it.
20200522_191111.jpg
I took the liberty to crop a portion on the right side of the pic.
The "golden" is not a good quality in this case I don't believe, though I am no expert
it is easy to spot an unhealthy tree in this pic. If I knew what was wrong with my shimpaku
I repotted 3 weeks ago I would give some advice, but I don't.

1590198269669.png
This is an unhealthy shimpaku. Only paid $30 for it and have $150 worth of time involved trying to figure it out.
Notice the lack of luster in the runner pointing to the right. It has been removed now. Gassed out.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Me, too, for Shimpaku, and it needs to be fed some N. I would repot, now, and just watch it blue up a little to confirm it's just been poorly cared for for some unknown period. Other than that, the skinny internal branches could be wired into better form, there's nice tree in there!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think it's too coarse to be either itoigawa or kishu, so I'm going for regular chinensis. Given that the OP is from the UK I think california juniper can be ruled out.

A good feed containing nitrogen and with micronutrients would perk it up fast. Couple of weeks probably.

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. My plan for the tree is to water and feed it over spring and summer, wire it down in autumn and them repot in early spring next year. From what I have read/ watched this seems the safest option (being based in the UK). My main priority for the moment is a healthy tree! Does this sound like a sound plan?

Any tips on (future) styling are more than appreciated...

A few more photos are below

I think the below should be the front of the tree as I really like the low swooping trunk to the right
20200523_171958.jpg

Close up of the multi trunk structure - lots of options!
20200523_172009.jpg

top of the tree
20200523_172036.jpg

Other side...
20200523_172217.jpg

Last edited:

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have just fed and watered the tree so far. There are quite a lot of these yellowy whiteish hard tips on some of the foliage which rub off very easily to the touch. Can I just remove these? I can pinch them off very easily and most come off just by touching them...

20200526_185633.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Those are flowers, they will drop off in due time. Or they'll become berries which you can pick.
I leave them on, because removal might trigger more to show up.
I heard that those tips never start growing again, so whatever you do, that specific tip is doomed. But the rest of the tips are not! So I think it's your choice to make.
I find picking berrier easier than removing flowers. But berries demand energy and resource investments, so I can see why people would pick the flowers.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
To me, the angle of your pictures implies that you a submitting to a 'front' according to it's current planting angle in the pot.

As I mentioned before, there may be a better front, and it may require that you change the potting position.

Have you taken any pictures from obtuse angles or exposed the base of the trunk?

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
Those are flowers, they will drop off in due time. Or they'll become berries which you can pick.
I leave them on, because removal might trigger more to show up.
I heard that those tips never start growing again, so whatever you do, that specific tip is doomed. But the rest of the tips are not! So I think it's your choice to make.
I find picking berrier easier than removing flowers. But berries demand energy and resource investments, so I can see why people would pick the flowers.
Thanks, I think I will pick mine off as flowers. Partly as the tree is a bit on the yellow side so want it to put all its energy in to getting healthy, and partly because it gives me something to do!

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
To me, the angle of your pictures implies that you a submitting to a 'front' according to it's current planting angle in the pot.

As I mentioned before, there may be a better front, and it may require that you change the potting position.

Have you taken any pictures from obtuse angles or exposed the base of the trunk?
Thanks yes I do quite like this angle it is potted in but I will take some more photos tomorrow as i agree it is a good idea to check out some others. I like the idea to have a look at the base of the trunk too as I have not done this yet

Top Bottom