juniper (komona size) styling

mustt65

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
so i need some eyes on this styling i was working on a few nights ago. i did some major bending on this small juniper but it seems to me it looks off balance. im not liking how all the foliage seems so be sitting on the back of the tree. if you notice on the side photo the top branch goes straight back then tries to come forward and i think that is whats making this look unpleasing/ unbalanced. im looking to maybe try to bend that branch forward making the bend as close to the trunk as possible but getting leverage to do so might be tough. your thoughts?

current front
IMG_1692.JPG

left side view, heres the top branch you can see go straight back.
IMG_1693.JPG

mustt65

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That peice of deadwood crossing the trunk must go.
it actually comes off the trunk splits of in a Y to both directions i was going to cut of the one going to the right as it gives it that feel as if it was crossing the trunk.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would let that tree recover until next fall. The bends you made were pretty involved, ut seems

mustt65

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
i agree on waiting till next year on any other changes. but here is a rough draft of what i am going for.

FullSizeRender.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i agree on waiting till next year on any other changes. but here is a rough draft of what i am going for.
I suggest that you continue your work. Wire the finer branches, trying to affect your plan; position the foliage where is needs to be instead of leaving it just 'hanging' there, where ever. You can do this without any worries, IMHO, just don't start rebending what you've already done.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Bonsai does not always need to be 'balanced' Try an unbalanced design to add dynamic tension to a tree.
My eye keeps going to the left branch. Always hard to 'style' a tree from 2D images but consider removing the right and back branches - Leave some dead wood remnants - and develop the entire tree from just the left branch and trunk.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so i need some eyes on this styling i was working on a few nights ago. i did some major bending on this small juniper but it seems to me it looks off balance. im not liking how all the foliage seems so be sitting on the back of the tree. if you notice on the side photo the top branch goes straight back then tries to come forward and i think that is whats making this look unpleasing/ unbalanced. im looking to maybe try to bend that branch forward making the bend as close to the trunk as possible but getting leverage to do so might be tough. your thoughts?

current front
View attachment 220125

left side view, heres the top branch you can see go straight back.
View attachment 220126

Trunk needs growth/size.;)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bonsai does not always need to be 'balanced' Try an unbalanced design to add dynamic tension to a tree.
My eye keeps going to the left branch. Always hard to 'style' a tree from 2D images but consider removing the right and back branches - Leave some dead wood remnants - and develop the entire tree from just the left branch and trunk.

+1
Looks like a great option to look at.

Top Bottom