Juniper parasite

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi everyone.
Bought myself 3 pre-bonsai Junipers as mere excercise material a few months ago, and realized only now that at least one of them contracted a parasite.
These lil aholes must have reproduced pretty quick cause I've been regularly misting, cleaning the dead/touching the old foliage in order to get an idea of what I'm going to do with them next spring.
Now, they were just 7-9 euros per piece, so I'm not too concerned about the eventual loss.
The actual problem is: I have some other small Bonsais (an apple , a little olive, a rosemary). Should I try to isolate those 2 while looking for a specific insepticide? And, what incepticide would be considered the best for them lil beasts?
Considering on top that I don't have much space to store the other healthy plants at my actual place, shouldn't I just throw them and prevent the thing from spreading further to them?

Any advice would be more then welcome!

FS

Attachments

• IMG_20200927_145959.jpg
    IMG_20200927_145959.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 60

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Few extra considerations: the junipers came from a quite known online store here in Germany. Can't imagine they're anything more than 3-4 year old plants as trunk is less than an inch at its base and they're full of juvenile foliage (they're not procumbens, as the needles are way too long).

External foliage (the one more affected by the pleague) feels sticky when touched.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
They are black aphids, not much of an issue if you use some neem oil or regular insecticide against aphids.
They will die this winter anyway, as soon as it freezes.
But they will be back.

The sticky stuff is their sugary poop, black fungus loves to live on that poop, so giving your plants a good shower with some medium-warm (25 degrees C) water will help getting the sticky stuff off.

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@sorce @Wires_Guy_wires

Thanks guys.
I've been informing myself about bonsai only for a few months now, and even though I do have enough patience to let this new passion last, I must admit it is quite a challenge to train the eye and understand what to do with the material you got.
Was quite worried bout them little parasites but in the end they may very well be my smallest issue lol

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Water with a bit of alcohol (spirit) and (insecticidal) soap works great and is not as toxic as some of the things you can buy.

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Water with a bit of alcohol (spirit) and (insecticidal) soap works great and is not as toxic as some of the things you can buy.

Will definitely give a try.
May one use beer for the alcoholic part? Asking for a friend :D

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm not too concerned about the eventual loss.
Don't expect loss...

Yes Insecticidal soap. Will discolour foliage a day or two. Mine reads that it treats aphids
but doesn't list any specific aphids. I keep a dedicated sprayer mixed up and labeled.
Directions read to use weekly, except aphids and mealybugs to spray again after 2 or 3 days to control.

Unsure of the cultivar?...would help to post a picture of these new acquisitions as a whole, and may get some
better debate on what cultivar you actually have :)

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
... a good shower with some medium-warm (25 degrees C) water will help getting the sticky stuff off.

Sorry to steal this thread, but now I got very curious, as I take the utmost care for not watering my bonsai with warm/hot water (like the first two minutes after a hose was left in the sun, for instance).
I wait a long time to make sure the water is cool before showering my plants. So, do they take 25°C with a smile?

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's better to drink the beer and use methylated spirit for the aphids than the other way around.

Was more thinking of giving them one last good toast before death
I'm a dramatic kiddo, I know

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Japonicus
The material is quite embarassing, as you may expect from a noob who's just looking for something to practice with.
Honestly, I'm not even sure they would ever become something. No trunk lines, no nabari, no nothing lol
On my excuse, have to admit there is no bonsai garden/shop within 150 km or so and you will only find 30-50 euros Pinus Mugus or Acer Palmatum seedlings as outdoor plants in bigger garden centers (Dehner, OBI).
There my choice to order 3 Junipers as they should be able to take more abuse than most plants, and I could apply different treatment to each one of them. Then I'd just have to observe the feedbacks and learn from the mistakes.

Attachments

• IMG-20200709-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20200709-WA0005.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200710_185802.jpg
    IMG_20200710_185802.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 23

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sorry to steal this thread, but now I got very curious, as I take the utmost care for not watering my bonsai with warm/hot water (like the first two minutes after a hose was left in the sun, for instance).
I wait a long time to make sure the water is cool before showering my plants. So, do they take 25°C with a smile?

Nothing stolen.
Knowledge is for everyone.
Anything that adds to the conversation ia more than welcome

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've been measuring foliage temperatures on hot days. They go up to 30 degrees C in the hot sun.
Watering the pots themselves with warm water isn't ideal, although I remember hydroponic growers to heat their water to at least 18°C. In general 23-28°C is the most optimal temperature to grow any plant.
This warm water I'm talking about is strictly meant to wash off the honeydew caused by aphids, before black mold starts growing. Warm water works better for that.
I don't think 25°C water is an issue and they'll take it with a smile, but we humans have terrible temperature sensitivity in our fingers so I think its better to be safe than sorry. If it's not needed, we should avoid warm water just to be sure.
Then again, how much water accumulates in a hose and how fast does that water cool when it's followed by a cold stream? In less than two minutes it's ambient temperature. I shower my pots two or three times in 15 minutes, so when all watering is done they're all 'tapwater temperature' (roughly 10-15°C).
I run the stream on my hose mainly to prevent legionella.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Automatic watering systems might be risky for this disease. The tubes are filled with water and get nice and warm in the sun. The nozzles only spray for a few minutes a day so likely do not clean the tubes properly and they create a mist you can easily inhale. Flushing them with hot water is not really feasible.
How risky this really is I wouldn't know (I'm not a medical professional) but being careful can't hurt.

Top Bottom