Juniper pfitzeriana progression/ideas

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score

Oh now that I like a lot!!! If i eventually managed to pull that off, I think my bonsai journey would be complete 😂 😂

Thanks very much for sharing, always good to dream big!

EDIT: Am I overthinking the planting at an angle? Reckon I could get away with a very slight change of angle and achieve the branching structure through wiring?

Second EDIT: I actually can't get over how amazing that looks - thanks so much for the inspiration!!!

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
there a way I can check the roots now

Depending on how recently it was uppotted at the nursery, you can usual give it a slight wiggle, and "see" where the rootball is. I've had some pop out and be perfect to throw on a slab. If they don't move at all, usually that means there is enough close root to safely cut back to. It is usually long thick stragglers that prevent a good seating, juniper don't have many.

I think leaving a Jin alive and letting it grow is also good, leaving folaige on is good in any fashion, unless it's shading your design.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh...too....

The angle...you don't want many lines parallel with the pot lip, or horizon. So I think any angle where the Jin is between 930 and 1130oclock will work.

Though the other side may make a better front?
So between 130 and 230 o'clock.

Sorce

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Oh...too....

The angle...you don't want many lines parallel with the pot lip, or horizon. So I think any angle where the Jin is between 930 and 1130oclock will work.

Though the other side may make a better front?
So between 130 and 230 o'clock.

Sorce

Cheers Sorce! I actually just popped into the local nursery to get lime sulphur for the jin. Already too the foliage of the jin brach so the guy there said its probably better to take off the bark asap.

He also suggested to angle the tree in the current pot to the desired angle now, said it shouldn't need ground layering. Also suggested to leave repotting till possibly October but preferably spring.

He also said when repotting I may find the roots are too big to put into a bonsai pot - said trying to get it in a pot may mean I have to take too much from the roots. And so repotting in a similar container as it's in now, but shallower (as a half way) might be necessary. Then a bonsai pot a few years later.

Any thoughts on this advice? I know different people will have different opinions but just trying to gage the general consensus!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Live bark is easier to remove. But I consider the end result over Tradition. If the rest of your design calls for a barked Jin....or a Jin where the bark was removed slowly ..leave it. Boring "cookie cutter" trees are made by doing what everyone does. "The bark is easier to remove." So human. Lazy! Would you accept one of your student's parents saying, "it's easier to keep them at home", or "it's easier to not dress them for school". Lol! There aren't many situations where easier produces better results.

I think a crossover between an intermediate pot and a "ground layer" might suffice. I believe this is sorta what Leo was getting at, not a full blown "ground layer", but simply allowing it to reroot itself where planted, which is highly likely anyway.

"October" sounds like the words of one who fears "Summer" repotting. Trying to put you off until then if you MUST as a newb, but they are spring repotters. I shamelessly want you to do a summer Repot just to prove a point. It won't die!

Sorce

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Live bark is easier to remove. But I consider the end result over Tradition. If the rest of your design calls for a barked Jin....or a Jin where the bark was removed slowly ..leave it. Boring "cookie cutter" trees are made by doing what everyone does. "The bark is easier to remove." So human. Lazy! Would you accept one of your student's parents saying, "it's easier to keep them at home", or "it's easier to not dress them for school". Lol! There aren't many situations where easier produces better results.

I think a crossover between an intermediate pot and a "ground layer" might suffice. I believe this is sorta what Leo was getting at, not a full blown "ground layer", but simply allowing it to reroot itself where planted, which is highly likely anyway.

"October" sounds like the words of one who fears "Summer" repotting. Trying to put you off until then if you MUST as a newb, but they are spring repotters. I shamelessly want you to do a summer Repot just to prove a point. It won't die!

Sorce

So you'd suggest removing a bit at a time, or just some of it?

Ok - summer repotting it is then, I trust you!! Sorry last question, good idea to angle in the current pot now to start the process, or just angle at the repot?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you'd suggest removing a bit at a time, or just some of it?

Ok - summer repotting it is then, I trust you!! Sorry last question, good idea to angle in the current pot now to start the process, or just angle at the repot?

Jin...It depends what YOU want!

Angle the whole pot yeah. But it's not necessary.

I would be more concerned with starting to pull the branches over first, if just to open it up. Only, you can't guy wire to the pot since you'll remove it.
But that Jin can be used!

I think having the pot at the right angle of your future planting is more useful to look at it for design, Horticulturally....meh.

Sorce

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Jin...It depends what YOU want!

Angle the whole pot yeah. But it's not necessary.

I would be more concerned with starting to pull the branches over first, if just to open it up. Only, you can't guy wire to the pot since you'll remove it.
But that Jin can be used!

I think having the pot at the right angle of your future planting is more useful to look at it for design, Horticulturally....meh.

Sorce

OK, about to have a go at guy wiring.

This is probably a daft question - I'm not following the jin thing...if I leave the bark on, won't it just carry on living? I'm confused 🤪

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
OK so it's harder than it looks it seems!

Probably needs tightening more, possibly another wire too... I've got a lot to learn 😂😂

Attachments

• 20200619_193303.jpg
    20200619_193303.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200619_193326.jpg
    20200619_193326.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 20

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Really not the most textbook wiring...but I gave it another go 😂 thicker wire needed really but this is what I had! Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20200620_175947.jpg
    20200620_175947.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200620_175951.jpg
    20200620_175951.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200620_175959.jpg
    20200620_175959.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200620_180005.jpg
    20200620_180005.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 10

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At your stage, any work, even poor, is teaching you the feel for things, just try not to pick up bad habits. Like... listening to me! Lol.

See how this yellow side is devoid of branches?

I'm talking about grabbing a couple individual branches, emerging as close to this side as possible, and guy wiring them over to fill this empty area.
Capture+_2020-06-20-12-06-50.png

Purple the connection point, green where that branch can get yanked to.

Budweiser! That used to be my beer.
I quit Thursday. Destroying the evidence today.20200620_100932.jpg

Sorce

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
At your stage, any work, even poor, is teaching you the feel for things, just try not to pick up bad habits. Like... listening to me! Lol.

I'm talking about grabbing a couple individual branches, emerging as close to this side as possible, and guy wiring them over to fill this empty area.
View attachment 310506

I quit Thursday. Destroying the evidence today.View attachment 310507

Sorce

Ohhh I see. Duhhhhhh. Yeah I completely misunderstood 😂 to be honest though, at least it's giving the jin a little movement! And I don't think I did an awful job with the actual wiring (in the last photo anyway). Should have been thicker wire though.

They're quite thin branches, what would you use to guy wire? Just a thin wire?

Budweiser is my go to... Unfortunately I go to it a little too often, my recycling bin looks a lot like that bag!

Icehouse? That looks fun, I've never heard of it... Bloody ignorant English folk eh!

Thanks very much for the help, as always (am I at the point where I don't need to say thanks in every comment and it's just assumed? 😂)

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score

View attachment 310506

I quit Thursday. Destroying the evidence today.View attachment 310507

Sorce

Definitely get what you mean now, issue being though, they're growing from on top of the main branch if that makes sense, rather than to the side. Tried to take a clear photo.

Attachments

• 20200620_183707.jpg
    20200620_183707.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 8

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
growing from on top of the main branc

I was afraid of that. The balance is then between, having a blank left side, and pulling something around without making it looked contrived.

Bjorn just dropped a Video on the Tube that explains hiding things well. If you can hide a crossover with another branch, try it.

Sorce

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I was afraid of that. The balance is then between, having a blank left side, and pulling something around without making it looked contrived.

Bjorn just dropped a Video on the Tube that explains hiding things well. If you can hide a crossover with another branch, try it.

Sorce

Great video!!! Really useful stuff and amazing tree.

Now I am feeling extremely glad I didn't remove much foliage/branching!

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I mean it's not the work of a master... But got two branches down and it's filled the space a little. Hard to get a decent photo

Attachments

• 20200620_233934.jpg
    20200620_233934.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200620_233908.jpg
    20200620_233908.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 6

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Bottom branch shaping underway! Again, needed thicker wire really but it'll do for now. May need to guy wire it too.

Will definitely need to get some thicker wire for the main branch (left) - far too straight - plan is to curl it up like in the drawing by @YAN

Not sure how much you can tell from the photos but it's slowly taking shape - exciting times (for me anyway 😂)

Attachments

• 20200621_141326.jpg
    20200621_141326.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200621_141243.jpg
    20200621_141243.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200621_141209.jpg
    20200621_141209.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom