Juniper pot drain hole missing

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just noticed that my juniper pot it's missing a drain hole. Should I leave like this, drill a hole or replace the pot ?

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
I would remove the tree from the pot and drill holes just for safety measures. I'm sure someone will chime in and give their input. Do you have any photos of the pot?

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would remove the tree from the pot and drill holes just for safety measures. I'm sure someone will chime in and give their input. Do you have any photos of the pot?
I'm not home right now, but I will as soon as I come back. If you don't mind, I'd like to hear your opinion about trimming some growth at the trunk. I want to start shaping it, but I don't know if it's safe at this time of the year, or let it go through the winter.

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll be safe trimming during this time of the year but dont take off too much. But I wouldn't do anything to it if you just repotted it. Also you should add your location to your profile, it helps other members with questions like this.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm sure you'll be safe trimming during this time of the year but dont take off too much. But I wouldn't do anything to it if you just repotted it. Also you should add your location to your profile, it helps other members with questions like this.
My wife just gave it to me as a present. I live in Channelview Tx. I can't tell if it's just repotted.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If it's in a pot without holes then it was recently potted and sold by a vendor that knows nothing about bonsai or is in it only for the money. Unfortunately, this happens often. Some photos will help with the direction you should travel.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I would just slip pot it into a pot with holes and not touch it til mid summer. Just water it, feed it once spring rolls around, and keep it alive. And I'd only cut runner shoots while they are extending. But first and foremost get some drainage holes and make sure it comes out of dormacy healthy

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it's in a pot without holes then it was recently potted and sold by a vendor that knows nothing about bonsai or is in it only for the money. Unfortunately, this happens often. Some photos will help with the direction you should travel.
Wifey got it from Sam's Club, if this tell you something about it. If I really can make this work, I'm planning to buy different bonsai trees, according with my usda zone. I'll post pics whenever I get home.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would just slip pot it into a pot with holes and not touch it til mid summer. Just water it, feed it once spring rolls around, and keep it alive. And I'd only cut runner shoots while they are extending. But first and foremost get some drainage holes and make sure it comes out of dormacy healthy
Thank you very much for your advice, sir.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
All mine are buried under 2 feet of snow on the Northside of my house in single digit temps. It will be just fine where it is. Glad it out there and not still inside

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Either drill some holes, or slip it into a new pot Tomorrow, and keep your fingers crossed for spring time. A lot of these junipers that you can get inside of box stores have a high chance of being dead by the time you get your hands on them. Not always the case but it does happen. Since a juniper can stay green well after its dies. How ever they are pretty easy to come by during the growing season, you can almost always find procumbens junipers in the garden center. , Granted it's a landscape bush, but that gives you the chance to prune and shape it how you see fit. It's a super fun Hobby once you work out some kinks, and myths. There's tons of valuable info around this place. Welcome

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
No sir. It's outside, under my porch. If is necessary, I have a shed where I keep my lawn tools, just in case it freezes.

Hello MrBeto. You don't need winter protection in Channelview. And don't trim anything yet. I'd suggest slip potting it into a bonsai pot with drainage holes. Then just keep it watered and bring it to the next HBS meeting or Saturday study group - we'd be happy to teach you how to take care of it.

Here's the Facebook page.
https://m.facebook.com/Houston-Bonsai-Society-192942147403083/?ref=bookmarks

And the web site.
http://houstonbonsaisociety.com/

Scott

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Either drill some holes, or slip it into a new pot Tomorrow, and keep your fingers crossed for spring time. A lot of these junipers that you can get inside of box stores have a high chance of being dead by the time you get your hands on them. Not always the case but it does happen. Since a juniper can stay green well after its dies. How ever they are pretty easy to come by during the growing season, you can almost always find procumbens junipers in the garden center. , Granted it's a landscape bush, but that gives you the chance to prune and shape it how you see fit. It's a super fun Hobby once you work out some kinks, and myths. There's tons of valuable info around this place. Welcome
Thank you very much sir, for your kindness. I'm willing to do what it takes to learn the craft of growing bonsai.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello MrBeto. You don't need winter protection in Channelview. And don't trim anything yet. I'd suggest slip potting it into a bonsai pot with drainage holes. Then just keep it watered and bring it to the next HBS meeting or Saturday study group - we'd be happy to teach you how to take care of it.

Here's the Facebook page.
https://m.facebook.com/Houston-Bonsai-Society-192942147403083/?ref=bookmarks

And the web site.
http://houstonbonsaisociety.com/

Scott
Hello Mr. Scott. I appreciate your invitation to attend the study group. Bonsai trees are so unique and amazing. I bet it takes many years to learn and perfect the techniques of growing bonsai, but I'm ready. I'm looking forward to meet you and thank you personally. This is my little tree in question.

Attachments

• IMG_1603.JPG
    IMG_1603.JPG
    375.4 KB · Views: 44
Top Bottom