Juniper potential ?????

mlbrown

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I found this guy sitting in a sea of Procumbens at a local landscape nursery. Not sure if it was the fact that it was sitting there all alone amongst the Procumbens, or just exactly what, but it seemed to call to me so I bought it. Now, I'm not really sure what to do with it. Any thoughts??? :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_2041.jpg
    IMG_2041.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2042.jpg
    IMG_2042.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2043.jpg
    IMG_2043.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2044.jpg
    IMG_2044.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2045.jpg
    IMG_2045.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 67

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
My guess

It is probably what is commonly sold as juniperus chinensis 'blue vase'. The name is a bit of a misnomer because it is almost definitely belongs to juniperus x media (a hybrid of which Chinese juniper is a parent).

Its vigorous, gets large in time. I have a very large one in my yard i can take a pic of it tomorrow. Great blue color all year.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd just leave it for the rest of the year, then next year bare root half the plant into bonsai soil. Let it sit all year just watering and fertilizing then repot the other half the next year. That will get it going full steam. I think it has an interesting trunkline. More branching will give you more options and the tree will be able to tolerate more extreme work.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like a good score. Hard to see the top but you have some good options it seems. Whatever you do, do not cut any major branch until you are absolutely sure of what you need and not. Remember that you can use some as jin/deadwood also.

Good luck with it!

Top Bottom