Juniper Pro Nana health help

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I need some help ID'ing what is happening to my young Juniper Pro Nana. I brought this plant plant home from a local nursery about a month ago. Since then I have noticed some gradual yellowing of the plant and I'm not sure whats happening. Here are some additional details:

• I'm in Southern CA zone 9b/10a.
  • I fertilized the tree for the first time 2 weeks ago for the first time, very lightly.
  • The nursery it was at has a 30%-ish shade over it, and it's new home in my backyard is full sun.
  • We had some severe winds a few weeks ago for a night, and was hit by some light debris, but no apparent damage.
  • I suspected I was overwatering it for the first few weeks, and I have since dialed back the watering schedule.
  • The soil he came in is admittedly not the fastest draining. It has a little bit of inorganic material, but it holds moisture longer than I would like.
  • No signs of root rot. I gently flipped him upside down the other day and slipped him out of the pot to examine his roots (without damaging the root ball). healthy looking roots and no smell.

I've attached some photos. The first is the day after I got him. The rest are what he looks like today.

Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong here? Any recommendations for how I can make sure he doesn't regress too much more? Or am I being a bit paranoid? lol.

Attachments

• IMG_3440.jpeg
    IMG_3440.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3489.jpeg
    IMG_3489.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3490.jpeg
    IMG_3490.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3491.jpeg
    IMG_3491.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 46
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
EDIT: The second photo is a bit misleading because it looks more yellow in full sun (the first photo is in the shade) so here is a photo from today in the shade as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3492.jpeg
    IMG_3492.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 45

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Since it's just the tips yellowing and the tree otherwise looks healthy, I'd say overwatering could be the culprit, maybe along with lack of nutrients depending on how the tree was cared for before you got it. I know citrus can yellow during the winter when the soil's too wet and they can't absorb enough nitrogen. It's possible something like that is happening here. I'd say whatever's causing the yellowing is very reversible, but don't do anything too drastic. Mind the soil moisture more closely and fertilize--but not too much. It should improve as the weather warms. Nanas are pretty forgiving so long as they don't totally dry out in a Santa Ana, or stay water logged for too long. If you're really worried, you could also spray preventatively for spider mites/general insect pests, just don't use neem. Neem oil and junipers are not friends. Good luck with your tree!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Fresh spring growth can be lighter than old foliage. I'm wondering if it's not just that, instead of something bad.

Top Bottom