Juniper Procumbens spot browning

Bonsaidoctor

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Greetings-
Purchased a nice Juniper specimen recently for which I am very fond.
Overall looks like it is healthy and I look forward to working with it over the years.
I am trying to learn how to not overwater and think I will figure it out. The plant drains well and was wired when I purchased it a few months ago. My question is the development of some browning in places. I cant actually recall when I noticed them. But they seem more prominent.
I am confident the tree is still alive, as there is lots of vigorous budding. And I dont see any webs or other critters.
Particularly interested in my there are some new stems that have browning at base but then seem to have green growth more further down branch (more distal).
Any thoughts....
As always, much appreciatedE0D5DDA1-71A5-4194-952F-A722C4F70D3E.jpeg76ED40BD-8BDC-47A9-B5F5-FC5DDE14769E.jpeg2517C910-C5B8-45F9-989B-2F1F45E078A9.jpegCD17F3EC-A76A-4808-8371-C7212F88E63E.jpegBA0B5B2F-9A84-43AE-8165-E6AAD436ECB4.jpeg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Old needles have to die sometimes. I see that some weak branches have had their tips removed, some junipers easily reject those branches and kill them off on their own. Best to do that kind of pruning only in the first spring flush. Especially in procumbens it really helps to compact the foliage that way.

I believe there has been some overwatering, but judging from the new growth, I'd say it's doing OK.

After the first half of summer, my needle junipers drop their old foliage. That's when I get my tweezers and start removing the brown and dead foliage.
Start from the top and work your way to the bottom when cleaning the dead stuff. Otherwise you'll keep dropping dead needles on already finished branches.

Top Bottom