Juniper procumbens???

CamelLegs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Recently received this young tree as a gift after months of research into bonsai. Original plan was to wait till spring to start my journey as winter is setting in here in northern Nevada. The tree was only tagged “juniper” but by needle shape I’m assuming it’s a procumbens and more than likely an expensive stick in a pot. Over the past three weeks there has been a few needles turning brown and the branches are browning and becoming harder. I water ever 3-4 days when the soil dries out. I have not repotted(waiting till spring) so I have no idea what the roots look like. Is it taking a turn or is my branch making its own branches???

Attachments

• 0DE851A7-3A43-4E80-87F9-395E240F5222.jpeg
    0DE851A7-3A43-4E80-87F9-395E240F5222.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 6CBB28C5-7079-48C9-9F3A-408A2775C844.jpeg
    6CBB28C5-7079-48C9-9F3A-408A2775C844.jpeg
    301.8 KB · Views: 40

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alright CamelLegs!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
3-4 days for a pot that size seems like severe under watering to me (I have to water daily) BUT it all depends on how much light and wind it sees in a day. Generally getting brown and rigid points toward under watering as well. Almost definitely procumbens nana.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Recently received this young tree as a gift after months of research into bonsai. Original plan was to wait till spring to start my journey as winter is setting in here in northern Nevada. The tree was only tagged “juniper” but by needle shape I’m assuming it’s a procumbens and more than likely an expensive stick in a pot. Over the past three weeks there has been a few needles turning brown and the branches are browning and becoming harder. I water ever 3-4 days when the soil dries out. I have not repotted(waiting till spring) so I have no idea what the roots look like. Is it taking a turn or is my branch making its own branches???
Looks like a procumbens to me (and I was just trimming one of my procumbens five minutes ago, so I have a fresh image of the foliage in mind). I'm not seeing the brown needles you're referring to in the pictures you posted. 3-4 days seems a little long between waterings but a lot depends on your local environmental conditions as well as the specific makeup of the substrate and how it retains moisture. You aren't waiting until the soil is totally dry to water, are you? It should range from wet immediately after watering to only a little bit moist right before the next watering. Don't ever allow it to become bone dry.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
The soils seems very free draining, that pot will dry pretty quick in full sun, bit of yellowing shedding the old needles its normal if its in the new growth its more concerning

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's an outdoor plant, period. Is it kept outside?

CamelLegs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I check it daily by sticking my finger down an inch or so into the soil and when it is slightly moist I start watering. I figure the few needles here and there are normal shedding as they are older, bigger, singular needles falling. I’ve just never seen the green branches start to turn brown and develop bark(I’m assuming) in various sections. I do bring it in at night due to the freezing temps we are getting here.

CamelLegs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Leave it outdoors so it will acclimate to the winter it needs to live. I absolutely guarantee that it will die if you keep it indoors.
Is there anything I should do to protect the roots from freezing? It will be down to the teens and 20’s during the heart of winter and it doesn’t have much soil to really protect it.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is there anything I should do to protect the roots from freezing? It will be down to the teens and 20’s during the heart of winter and it doesn’t have much soil to really protect it.
Put the pot on the ground for winter. You want to avoid putting it where it will get too much sun because the temperature fluctuations can cause it to wake up from dormancy too early in the spring. Along the north side of your house/garage/shed/fence is a good location for it. I usually put some mulch around the pots and on the surface of the soil. Some people build a cold frame, hoop house, windbreak of some sort. Personally, I don’t. Some people put their trees in an unheated garage. I’ve never done that. You do have to water them occasionally if you put in an unheated garage. Outdoors, you have to pay attention to watering in the fall and spring, but snowmelt will water them in winter. I just throw a few extra shovelfuls of the first snow onto them and they stay chilled and insulated pretty well afterwards.

Don’t put it on the ground yet though. Wait until after the first frost of the season. By that time, wild critters have already selected their winter homes. If you do it too soon, critters will set up their winter homes right next to the delicious trees that you’ve graciously provided and will snack on the bark.

CamelLegs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Put the pot on the ground for winter. You want to avoid putting it where it will get too much sun because the temperature fluctuations can cause it to wake up from dormancy too early in the spring. Along the north side of your house/garage/shed/fence is a good location for it. I usually put some mulch around the pots and on the surface of the soil. Some people build a cold frame, hoop house, windbreak of some sort. Personally, I don’t. Some people put their trees in an unheated garage. I’ve never done that. You do have to water them occasionally if you put in an unheated garage. Outdoors, you have to pay attention to watering in the fall and spring, but snowmelt will water them in winter. I just throw a few extra shovelfuls of the first snow onto them and they stay chilled and insulated pretty well afterwards.

Don’t put it on the ground yet though. Wait until after the first frost of the season. By that time, wild critters have already selected their winter homes. If you do it too soon, critters will set up their winter homes right next to the delicious trees that you’ve graciously provided and will snack on the bark.
Awesome, thank you all so much. Should have a pretty awesome tree in the next 5 years!!!

Top Bottom