Juniper " Project " challenging and lengthy!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The other day i acquired a large Shimpaku " Kishu" . The tree has not been worked on for approximately 10 years. It has changed hands during that time. The last owner set it aside with intention of using it for a demo some day! That was six years ago i believe. The tree is healthy, the roots grew through the pot into the ground for the last few years. The branches have grown out (way out) and the interior died off. I spent the last three days cleaning old needles, and debris. Cutting off dead twigs. Then repotted into one of the deep propagation Andersen flats, nestled into a second one for stability and extra drainage. Due to it being a little later in the season for repotting I chose to excavate the center portion and remove 1 1/2 inches from the sides. The remaining rootball was pretty good, the centre was powdery and dry with few roots alive. The next step will be to open up the branches to allow light and thin to produce bud back over time.
The following pictures show the main two sides, remaining root ball and the progress on beginning to open up the branching.
The trunk is 4 inches above the flare, no carving has been done on the tree it is basically a good structure and blank slate. Difficult to tell if it was ever designed or worked on for any length of time. I am working for a considerable change in the next five years.
The first steps will be the most cautious to begin transition and ensure the tree stays healthy going forward while it grows backward and inward. Once I finish wiring branches gently into better position for light that will be it for a while. Wait for the root recovery and then begin the cutback and thinning over time. perhaps a little carving next winter.

Attachments

• IMG_1084.JPG
    IMG_1084.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG
    497.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1091.JPG
    IMG_1091.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 104

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice base! Looks healthy.

Any ideas what size/style you'll be aiming for?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice base! Looks healthy.

Any ideas what size/style you'll be aiming for?
Based on the current structural bones i would expect approx 28 inch overall. Informal upright, will have to see what the tree offers. I like a more open look with distinct pads within the overall.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Pretty awesome chunky (4") trunk especially with the root mass ratio.
So what are the plans for the transition to come or will there be a style reveal later?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Based on the current structural bones i would expect approx 28 inch overall. Informal upright, will have to see what the tree offers. I like a more open look with distinct pads within the overall.
Ah posted same time I did. Nice Frank. I would be confident to let you style anything I needed help on.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pretty awesome chunky (4") trunk especially with the root mass ratio.
So what are the plans for the transition to come or will there be a style reveal later?
Transition at this point is to get some foliage back in closer to the trunk and compact the spread of the branches. There are a group of smaller branches in the upper regions that provide options of directional change and apex placement. I have only had the tree for three days, will likely explore design options for the coming year:cool:
The beauty of Juniper is the ability to bend and shape the branches fairly easily.

Ecko

Seedling
Reaction score
That juniper is something crazy!!! Beautiful tho, bet its gonna be a blast to work with!!

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Frank, how is this tree progressing? Any updates?

Noah

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Frank, how is this tree progressing? Any updates?

Noah
It is beginning to come around after a serious period of sulking! Took great offence at repotting. The root mass was deceiving, over a period of two repots the old soil was removed in favour of inorganic revealing very few healthy feeder roots. The tree had sat on the lawn of the former owner and roots escaped through the bottom of the pot into the ground over a period of years without being moved. Finally getting strong extensions on the branches this spring. Minimal progress, pruned unwanted branches, wired out remaining branches to help back bud! Strengthening for successive cut backs to build interior foliage. Here is a picture taken last fall. October 2019!
IMG_0977.jpeg

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Right on. looking forward to its further development in the upcoming years.

Thanks for the update!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Right on. looking forward to its further development in the upcoming years.

Thanks for the update!
Plans for this year include stronger growth, thin foliage for light and prepare for strong cut back in some areas as shoots continue to extend. It needs at least one more summer of full root repair before any aggressive work. Will judge the progress by the amount of bud back on old wood and strength of the new interior foliage. Will likely graft in a few lower locations early next spring. Leaving some scion material in place for that purpose.

Top Bottom