Juniper Question

Pals_id

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
After letting it sit for a couple months after repotting and light pruning, I started doing more work on a Kishu Shimpaku Juniper. The seller said that it was all Shimpaku and not grafted. However, the right side of the tree is pulling away from the main trunk. I am wondering if this is because the veins can separate, or is something else going on here? Also, what steps would you take to resolve this? A band was around the trunk when I purchase the tree and that is why there is a dark ring just under this particular area. I'm sure I can clean that up, but how would you proceed with this trunk/branch?

See attached images. Thank you.

20160717_205742.jpg20160717_205753.jpg20160717_205824.jpg20160717_205833.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yep, pretty common training technique. Looking at the bottom photo, the left branch was separated from the shari on the trunk with a branch splitter. Likely, a wire covered in tubing was wrapped around the trunk, to stop the split from running any further down, while the left branch was manipulated into position. That wire caused a stain that will come off. The area will always be a bit fragile, but nothing to be too worried about unless you want to crank down on that branch again.

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with BVF.

In fact, Kimura used to separate entire trunks live veins from the heartwood, and manipulate them. He was called "The Magician" because he could do it so well.

Pals_id

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Thanks guys. So it seems like it's nothing to be alarmed about. It almost looks like someone used adhesive in the past and it came unglued. Should I try to clean that up and leave it or clean it up and use adhesive where the jin meets the shari? If this splits down more would it be a problem or look bad?

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
If you want to secure it use a small screw through the live vein. It will heal and in time be invisible. It should hold the section securely better than other options. You can always use wood glue with the screw.

Pals_id

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
If you want to secure it use a small screw through the live vein. It will heal and in time be invisible. It should hold the section securely better than other options. You can always use wood glue with the screw.

Thank you!! I would not have thought of that. Are there any metals I would want to stay away from or are most metals used for screws safe? I do not want to kill the branch. I am doing some moderate trimming and wiring now and will give the tree until next spring to recuperate a bit. I will then tackle this project and clean up the deadwood. I may remove that nub of jin and keep the live branch. Thanks again

Top Bottom