Juniper questions for relative newcomer

Robertji

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I potted this juniper up in the spring , a very cool and wet spring and I have some concerns with it's current state of health. You can see from the pictures that there are some light coloured and brown tips and the tree has not put on any growth this year. Temperatures so far have remained in the 60s low 70s and the tree is in full sun when it's not overcast. I have researched spider mites (no issues but I hit it with Malathion anyways) and juniper tip blight but have not treated with a fungicide as yet.
Because it has been so cool and wet I am inclined to believe the tree hasn't had a chance to really dry out. I did not remove the original garden soil (not supposed to bare root junipers) and am concerned with overwatering. I potted it up in a turface perlite mix but the center of the root ball is garden soil.
When I check for moisture should I check the original soil area and not the turface perlite mix i.e. don't water until the original soil feels dry 1/2" down? Are the tips indicative of Phomopsis and should I treat for blight?

So far it's just wait and worry but what a good trunk to lose...any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jim IMG_00000205.jpgIMG_00000203.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Looks fungal to me most likely related to the cool, wet spring. Applying a fungicide periodically through the rest of the growing season and good horticulture will get this one over the top I'd say.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I nuked a large shimpaku with Malathion this spring and it looks like yours; worse actually. I'm just nursing it along, misting the trunk and foliage regularly, watching soil moisture, since it has very little foliage and isn't drying as fast. I'm watching the foliage tips for signs of life, and new shoots forming the bases of branches. I'm not removing anything unless it's dead and crispy. I think mine will make it. Looks like yours will too.

Your question about where to check soil moisture? I'd look at both, but suspect most of the roots are in the old garden soil root ball.

Good luck.

Robertji

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looks fungal to me most likely related to the cool, wet spring. Applying a fungicide periodically through the rest of the growing season and good horticulture will get this one over the top I'd say.
Thanks Dave, fungicide it is.

Robertji

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I nuked a large shimpaku with Malathion this spring and it looks like yours; worse actually. I'm just nursing it along, misting the trunk and foliage regularly, watching soil moisture, since it has very little foliage and isn't drying as fast. I'm watching the foliage tips for signs of life, and new shoots forming the bases of branches. I'm not removing anything unless it's dead and crispy. I think mine will make it. Looks like yours will too.

Your question about where to check soil moisture? I'd look at both, but suspect most of the roots are in the old garden soil root ball.

Good luck.
Thank you Brian, in the absence of more knowledge and experience it's hard to find encouragement in yellow and brown foliage. I am applying copper fungicide just in case and will be diligent in watching soil moisture. If it makes it until next spring I'll follow Adair's advice given in other threads and half bare root it, but for now careful watering and waiting...

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Sounds like a solid plan. Good luck. I'd show a photo of mine for encouragement, but I can't bear to shoot it right now.

Top Bottom