juniper repotting

mustt65

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
with spring just around the corner, is it to late to repot my junipers? most are in nursery pots and i want to get them in training pots. they do have visible buds growing already, is that an indication that its to late or am i still able to repot?

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Normally this would be late in So Cal but it's been colder than normal so I think you are good. I'm repotting my junipers this week.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Remember that most of the energy is stored in the foliage on junipers.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I routinely root prune and repot junipers after the deciduous trees here, even junipers that are growing quite strongly seem to be OK with quite late repotting.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hoping to have a pot commissioned for my shimpaku juniper.
Being extra careful with timing, I’m waiting till May or more zone specific
2 months after the foliage is beginning to put on new growth and frosts are done.
After the height of Summer is very well too.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hoping to have a pot commissioned for my shimpaku juniper.
Being extra careful with timing, I’m waiting till May or more zone specific
2 months after the foliage is beginning to put on new growth and frosts are done.
After the height of Summer is very well too.
Good luck, that is entirely too late in the growing season for my trees.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good luck, that is entirely too late in the growing season for my trees.
You know what...you got me thinking Brian...
I went back to the thread where I repotted my formal procumbens cascade last year for the timeline.
Reason for my timeline is the tree survived sluggishly. I lost the entire year because I repotted too early.
I coulda sworn, and I have said, that I repotted it in April when the growing tips were making their 1st push
after hibernation. It was MID-MARCH! and buds were moving.
So all year I've been against potting my junipers in April wanting to push it out
another month, albeit we're probably a month behind much of Alabama for Spring push normally...
I must recant and withdraw my May statement. Not only have we had a warmer Winter than usual
most of the Eastern half of the US is expecting normal to slightly above normal Springtime temperatures this year.
I'm still of the opinion for my neck of the woods, that I need to hold off longer than last year after the growing tips begin to move.

Darn! I told @sorce I was shooting for May wane and hope for rain. That's after May 18th!!!!
curses...Thanks for winding my clock Brian :)

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So what's it going to be, mod-March, mid-April? I have a procumbens that needs a repot and would like to get it just right this time.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Out of all the species that we use for Bonsai , junipers have the largest window for repotting. Ideally, you can do it when the growing tips have greened up, but you can do it later in the spring, as well. I’ve repotted earlier, too, without issue. Here in N GA, any time in February through April will work, though I prefer March.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You know what...you got me thinking Brian...
I went back to the thread where I repotted my formal procumbens cascade last year for the timeline.
Reason for my timeline is the tree survived sluggishly. I lost the entire year because I repotted too early.
I coulda sworn, and I have said, that I repotted it in April when the growing tips were making their 1st push
after hibernation. It was MID-MARCH! and buds were moving.
So all year I've been against potting my junipers in April wanting to push it out
another month, albeit we're probably a month behind much of Alabama for Spring push normally...
I must recant and withdraw my May statement. Not only have we had a warmer Winter than usual
most of the Eastern half of the US is expecting normal to slightly above normal Springtime temperatures this year.
I'm still of the opinion for my neck of the woods, that I need to hold off longer than last year after the growing tips begin to move.
Has anyone ever suggested waiting until after the summer solstice to repot conifers?

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm with that @0soyoung ! I'm making @Japonicus wait until then!...of 2024 if you ask @Underdog !

But seriously...

2023!?

Nah nah...and the longer I make yall wait...the more free shit I throw in there!

Love!

Sorce

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Has anyone ever suggested waiting until after the summer solstice to repot conifers?
Oh yes, and I thought of you when I posted my timeframe in post 6.
I’ve worked roots pretty good on nursery can junipers in Late August never missing a beat.
I'm with that @0soyoung ! I'm making @Japonicus wait until then!...of 2024 if you ask @Underdog !

But seriously...

2023!?

Nah nah...and the longer I make yall wait...the more free shit I throw in there!

Love!

Sorce
No blow before they grow, I know. When your traveling plans are geared for Autumn though...
Still may be able to pull that off, trying to think of one I’d trust to take care of it,
but that’s a shoot and hope. In my own care Springtime would be better than someone else’s in Fall.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Out of all the species that we use for Bonsai , junipers have the largest window for repotting. Ideally, you can do it when the growing tips have greened up, but you can do it later in the spring, as well. I’ve repotted earlier, too, without issue. Here in N GA, any time in February through April will work, though I prefer March.
Today looks like as good a day as any!

Top Bottom